I just need to get two references ... I just need to get two references ... - Page 120
Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Posts 1,191 to 1,200 of 1206
  1. #1191

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I've had two calls from withheld numbers saying they work for Hays IT for different opportunities that could only be progressed if I gave them the names of other companies I'm currently applying with.

    They used established brands in both cases, and they ask for those references near the end of the call just to make sure you have wasted 10 minutes with them.

    Added to black list.
    Last edited by Proximo; 20th May 2019 at 17:20.

  2. #1192

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a permanent state of hatred for orange goblins.
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Had similar this morning; job offer has come through, wanting references.

    Accepted job offer, fired back the details of the agencies used for last two roles to confirm dates etc.

  3. #1193

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    I've had two calls from withheld numbers saying they work for Hays IT for different opportunities that could only be progressed if I gave them the names of other companies I'm currently applying with.

    They used established brands in both cases, and they ask for those references near the end of the call just to make sure you have wasted 10 minutes with them.

    Added to black list.
    Hays IT never call from withheld numbers and never ask for references in advance, so looks more like an agency pretending to be Hays

  4. #1194

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Had a fun variation on this earlier today.

    Had a multi-stage interview process with a well known IB (phone, followed by face to face).

    Clientco dragged heels on the post interview feedback (agent vaguely muttering about they think you'll get bored blah blah blah) and then today out of the blue lands an email with the following beauty from the agent:

    As we spoke earlier this week, we have received a positive feedback on your interview you had 2 weeks ago.
    Therefore, As part of our company’s process we do reference checks before the client confirms the offer,
    Would you be able to provide us with manager’s details at the last 2 places you worked.


    Smacks of BS to me but thoughts on how best to respond, way I see it I could either:

    Tell her to do one.
    Give her the details of the relevant agencies.
    Give her the managers names etc.


    Thoughts?

    Before anybody asks, yes I know usually this 2 references crap is just that, crap. However in this instance, seems a bit odd to have it so late in the day unless the agent reckons this is their way of salvaging something when I'm not going to get the gig.

  5. #1195

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BHicks View Post
    Had a fun variation on this earlier today.

    Had a multi-stage interview process with a well known IB (phone, followed by face to face).

    Clientco dragged heels on the post interview feedback (agent vaguely muttering about they think you'll get bored blah blah blah) and then today out of the blue lands an email with the following beauty from the agent:

    As we spoke earlier this week, we have received a positive feedback on your interview you had 2 weeks ago.
    Therefore, As part of our company’s process we do reference checks before the client confirms the offer,
    Would you be able to provide us with manager’s details at the last 2 places you worked.


    Smacks of BS to me but thoughts on how best to respond, way I see it I could either:

    Tell her to do one.
    Give her the details of the relevant agencies.
    Give her the managers names etc.


    Thoughts?

    Before anybody asks, yes I know usually this 2 references crap is just that, crap. However in this instance, seems a bit odd to have it so late in the day unless the agent reckons this is their way of salvaging something when I'm not going to get the gig.
    Sometimes banks do ask for references as part of the vetting process.

    I ways give agency details for references.

  6. #1196

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sometimes banks do ask for references as part of the vetting process.

    I ways give agency details for references.
    I don't know if they actually follow them up but my client, who I've been with twice, asked for references as part of the offer (not before interview) and I was assured they needed them. Got on site first time and found out it was true. The client does ask for them. Gave the last agent and never heard anything else.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #1197

    Should post faster

    KinooOrKinog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sometimes banks do ask for references as part of the vetting process.

    I ways give agency details for references.
    With banks it's more to do with background checks, criminal record, etc so you would be getting asked for your ID, address history, etc at the same time. Usually after you've accepted an offer & been given a start date.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

  8. #1198

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    With banks it's more to do with background checks, criminal record, etc so you would be getting asked for your ID, address history, etc at the same time. Usually after you've accepted an offer & been given a start date.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    If they're organised. Have had the requests drip fed in the past.

  9. #1199

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Thanks folks.

    Yeah I've been through enough pre-engagement screenings to know the score on those but every other one I've had before, has always been:

    Offer issued (conditional on successful screening etc).

    Not

    Initial reference check
    Offer issued

    I'll ask the agent to confirm in writing what the actual situation is since their email smacks of boilerplate and If they really were sitting on a potential offer from ClientCo, I'd have expected them to be hassling me on the phone. Never, had an offer (potential or otherwise) communicated solely via email as the primary means of communication. Normally a phone call and then the following email to confirm.

  10. #1200

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,262

    Default

    Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing a change in references, instead of going to the client as part of onboarding I am being asked for the details of previous agents
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •