• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had two calls from withheld numbers saying they work for Hays IT for different opportunities that could only be progressed if I gave them the names of other companies I'm currently applying with.

They used established brands in both cases, and they ask for those references near the end of the call just to make sure you have wasted 10 minutes with them.

Added to black list.
    Last edited by Proximo; 20 May 2019, 17:20.

Comment

Had similar this morning; job offer has come through, wanting references.

Accepted job offer, fired back the details of the agencies used for last two roles to confirm dates etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Proximo View Post
        I've had two calls from withheld numbers saying they work for Hays IT for different opportunities that could only be progressed if I gave them the names of other companies I'm currently applying with.

They used established brands in both cases, and they ask for those references near the end of the call just to make sure you have wasted 10 minutes with them.

Added to black list.
        Hays IT never call from withheld numbers and never ask for references in advance, so looks more like an agency pretending to be Hays

Comment

Had a fun variation on this earlier today.

Had a multi-stage interview process with a well known IB (phone, followed by face to face).

Clientco dragged heels on the post interview feedback (agent vaguely muttering about they think you'll get bored blah blah blah) and then today out of the blue lands an email with the following beauty from the agent:

As we spoke earlier this week, we have received a positive feedback on your interview you had 2 weeks ago.
          Therefore, As part of our company’s process we do reference checks before the client confirms the offer,
          Would you be able to provide us with manager’s details at the last 2 places you worked.

Smacks of BS to me but thoughts on how best to respond, way I see it I could either:

Tell her to do one.
          Give her the details of the relevant agencies.
          Give her the managers names etc.

Thoughts?

Before anybody asks, yes I know usually this 2 references crap is just that, crap. However in this instance, seems a bit odd to have it so late in the day unless the agent reckons this is their way of salvaging something when I'm not going to get the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by BHicks View Post
            Had a fun variation on this earlier today.

Had a multi-stage interview process with a well known IB (phone, followed by face to face).

Clientco dragged heels on the post interview feedback (agent vaguely muttering about they think you'll get bored blah blah blah) and then today out of the blue lands an email with the following beauty from the agent:

As we spoke earlier this week, we have received a positive feedback on your interview you had 2 weeks ago.
            Therefore, As part of our company’s process we do reference checks before the client confirms the offer,
            Would you be able to provide us with manager’s details at the last 2 places you worked.

Smacks of BS to me but thoughts on how best to respond, way I see it I could either:

Tell her to do one.
            Give her the details of the relevant agencies.
            Give her the managers names etc.

Thoughts?

Before anybody asks, yes I know usually this 2 references crap is just that, crap. However in this instance, seems a bit odd to have it so late in the day unless the agent reckons this is their way of salvaging something when I'm not going to get the gig.
            Sometimes banks do ask for references as part of the vetting process.

I ways give agency details for references.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I don't know if they actually follow them up but my client, who I've been with twice, asked for references as part of the offer (not before interview) and I was assured they needed them. Got on site first time and found out it was true. The client does ask for them. Gave the last agent and never heard anything else.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

With banks it's more to do with background checks, criminal record, etc so you would be getting asked for your ID, address history, etc at the same time. Usually after you've accepted an offer & been given a start date.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                  With banks it's more to do with background checks, criminal record, etc so you would be getting asked for your ID, address history, etc at the same time. Usually after you've accepted an offer & been given a start date.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  If they're organised. Have had the requests drip fed in the past.

Comment

Thanks folks.

Yeah I've been through enough pre-engagement screenings to know the score on those but every other one I've had before, has always been:

Offer issued (conditional on successful screening etc).

Not

Initial reference check
                    Offer issued

I'll ask the agent to confirm in writing what the actual situation is since their email smacks of boilerplate and If they really were sitting on a potential offer from ClientCo, I'd have expected them to be hassling me on the phone. Never, had an offer (potential or otherwise) communicated solely via email as the primary means of communication. Normally a phone call and then the following email to confirm.

Comment

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing a change in references, instead of going to the client as part of onboarding I am being asked for the details of previous agents
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X