• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Really, why bother? I usually just say 'no'. The references aren't for the client anyway.

Otherwise, I just give the public phone number for each company I've worked at in the last 4 years, and put 'HR Department'.

The best one is when they ask for a *technical* reference. All my managers are non-technical, sorry, it wouldn't be any use. Bellends.
    Fellow contractor and drinking partner is usually the best bet.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

'Tank IT' fake contracts

In case is getting the same and comes checking here...

Had yet another '2 references' call today from an agent called 'Nick Blunt' claiming he worked at 'Tank IT'. I looked afterwards and can't find any trace of them. Local role, ridiculous money, not really bothered about tech stack, urgent, main focus was on where I am now and needed 2 references. Said he'd send me an email straight after the call and never did. Really p*sses you off these little Gordon Geckos with £££ in their eyes. Twice during the call he started shouting over at colleagues without putting me on hold. I usually hang up on them, but he caught me at a weak moment.

...expecting to receive an email from him and is genuine, just after I hit the Submit button.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
        *Latest update *
        Applied for a contract in Belgium.
        Please provide 3 references which must be Belgian.
        I have given them

Hercule Poiroit, Eddy Merckx and Tintin.

If they are typical UK based pimps under 25, they wouldn't have a clue who those people are so would probably accept.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

If I remember rightly Tank IT are part of Roc Search who are notorious for calling with that 'ideal' job where you live but they need 2 references and you never hear from them again until a few days later when you get another call with the same speech. I've blocked Roc.

Comment

Fecking ROC Search
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

For balance, I've not long started a new role, and was initially annoyed when saw an email asking for references just after I accepted the role., until I looked at it a little closer.

They actually wanted 2 agency references to confirm last contact dates, and 1 personal.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                For balance, I've not long started a new role, and was initially annoyed when saw an email asking for references just after I accepted the role., until I looked at it a little closer.

They actually wanted 2 agency references to confirm last contact dates, and 1 personal.
                Pimps don’t talk to each other, might confirm the dates but some of them are nasty and don’t do even that. Client might confirm the dates(some of them at least).
                Personal? Why? Is it a contract role?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  Pimps don’t talk to each other, might confirm the dates but some of them are nasty and don’t do even that. Client might confirm the dates(some of them at least).
                  Funny. Never seen that in 10+ years and never heard of it on here either.

My most recent was 2 agents and one professional to cover a gap.

It may be a contract but you as a person is attending site.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                    Well, they both did.

And yes, it is a contract role, and how dare you suggest otherwise!

Comment

Investigo

Client needs two refs and this is standard procedure

Needs to send app next hour

You have more chance of becoming a professional footballer, then solving the Reimann Hypothesis.

Comment

Working...
                      X