• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had an agency request a reference from me by prompting the end client
    to make a half baked request for one.

1. The agent called me up and said that the end client wanted a reference from me for an interview that I had been to in order "to make up his mind". I politely declined.

2. The agent called me up 2 days later and sent an e-mail to me showing an e-mail thread between himself and the end client where the agent was encouraging the end client to make a request for a reference for me, the client more or less said "erm .. well then ok then get a refernce to me if that's ok with him". The agent had effectively created the demand for the reference AFTER the date of 1) above i.e. the end client had never originally requested a reference, the agent had artificially created the demand for a reference for me by pestering the end client to initiate one.

I saw this trick and didn't bother to send a reference in as I had a better job offer by then.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      I once had an agency request a reference from me by prompting the end client
      to make a half baked request for one.

1. The agent called me up and said that the end client wanted a reference from me for an interview that I had been to in order "to make up his mind". I politely declined.

2. The agent called me up 2 days later and sent an e-mail to me showing an e-mail thread between himself and the end client where the agent was encouraging the end client to make a request for a reference for me, the client more or less said "erm .. well then ok then get a refernce to me if that's ok with him". The agent had effectively created the demand for the reference AFTER the date of 1) above i.e. the end client had never originally requested a reference, the agent had artificially created the demand for a reference for me by pestering the end client to initiate one.

I saw this trick and didn't bother to send a reference in as I had a better job offer by then.

Please post with personal details removed - it'll give us all a laugh, that's ridiculous!!

Comment

Food for Thought !

There not all bad, I once had a request for two references prior to the interview and although would normally decline decided (based on
        the fact the role was a perfect match both skills wise and location) I
        would oblige - gave the references got the contract and fingers crossed
        it will get me through this current spell (as its governm......tax payer funded and they are not feeling the pinch quite so much).

I think you have to use your head and experience rather than just
        a carte blanche refusal to agents.

Comment

Originally posted by weemster View Post
          There not all bad, I once had a request for two references prior to the interview and although would normally decline decided (based on
          the fact the role was a perfect match both skills wise and location) I
          would oblige - gave the references got the contract and fingers crossed
          it will get me through this current spell (as its governm......tax payer funded and they are not feeling the pinch quite so much).

I think you have to use your head and experience rather than just
          a carte blanche refusal to agents.
          ^^WHS^^

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
            It depends - but I would never work with a candidate that isn't prepared to believe in me when I tell them the references are for Brand Protection, deeper understanding, and peace of mind for my directors. I'll happily provide references on my work, and also allow any candidate who doubts this approach listen to the call to the referee if they really want to.

It does provide a barrier sometimes, but you can work around it - I would rather have 10 people running, who I trust implicitly, than 40 people working who "might or might not" be any good - It's not all about the money - it's about the quality approach too (in the hope that the volume comes naturally). This has meant that as a business, we have previously placed 30-40 people on single sites, at senior levels, bypassing the PSL and placing directly - the PSL didn't even get a sniff!!

TAV
            There is a nasty smell around here, can anyone put their finger on what it is?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Comment

Two References

I'll clear up this situation now with some facts.

Recruitment Agencies are regulated and as part of the REC and BERR regulations they must be able to demonstrate several pieces of infomation in their audit trail.

This does include the ability to demonstrate why a CV has been submitted to a role.

At the Agency that I work at (Rethink Recruitment) we need to have the following information before we can submit a shortlist to our clients...this is for every person that we put forward.

The infomation is:

1. Request copy of ID – must be eligible
                2. Send ‘Opt Out/Out In’ template
                3. Send email template to candidate explaining that ReThink are acting as an Employment Business and requesting they confirm ReThink can represent them
                4. Two references must be be taken on every contractor submitted

I know that agencies have a bad name but it is now a legal requirement for them to be able to show due diligence when/if they are audited.

I'd be suspicous of someone asking for this infomation on the first call..unless you are the perfect match. Chances are that an agent will speak to you, run through some brief details about the role and yourself. Hang up. Asess you and the others and then call back to gain the rest of the information for them to be compliant.

If you really want to check whether they are lying or not contact your referrees and find out what was asked of them. The agent should be asessing your suitability for the role based on your referees information. If they are not - report them to the REC - thats what it is there for.

Take heart..this is designed to ensure that clients are getting the right people and are not just spammed with CV's.

Finally if the agent does ask your referee if they recruit you can hardly blame them - its probably how they got the job that they are putting you forward to in the 1st place.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  WHS
                  Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Recruitment Agencies are regulated and as part of the REC and BERR regulations they must be able to demonstrate several pieces of infomation in their audit trail.

This does include the ability to demonstrate why a CV has been submitted to a role.

At the Agency that I work at (Rethink Recruitment) we need to have the following information before we can submit a shortlist to our clients...this is for every person that we put forward.

The infomation is:

3. Send email template to candidate explaining that ReThink are acting as an Employment Business and requesting they confirm ReThink can represent them

I know that agencies have a bad name but it is now a legal requirement for them to be able to show due diligence when/if they are audited.

I'd be suspicous of someone asking for this infomation on the first call..unless you are the perfect match. Chances are that an agent will speak to you, run through some brief details about the role and yourself. Hang up. Asess you and the others and then call back to gain the rest of the information for them to be compliant.

If you really want to check whether they are lying or not contact your referrees and find out what was asked of them. The agent should be asessing your suitability for the role based on your referees information. If they are not - report them to the REC - thats what it is there for.

Take heart..this is designed to ensure that clients are getting the right people and are not just spammed with CV's.

Finally if the agent does ask your referee if they recruit you can hardly blame them - its probably how they got the job that they are putting you forward to in the 1st place.

Nick
                    You make a few good points but the biggest frustration most professional contractors have is that you are not employing them you are engaging their company in a buisness to business arrangment - whilst occasionally companies do post references from previous clients on their website etc it is not a normal course of action to ask for them.

You do not want to employ the people due to risk and expenses involved - neither does the client - so please stop treating us like employees or prospective employees.

Comment

Originally posted by NY View Post

The infomation is:

Nick
                      Interesting that the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, made up up largely of recruitment agents, would make the one practise that's so notorious for abuse a requirement for membership and even lean on the government in the shape of the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform to make it a legal requirement to fish for leads when speaking to a candidate.

This stinks.
                      Last edited by administrator; 29 June 2012, 14:35.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X