• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they go after the references more enthusiastically than they try to get you into the role, they're almost certainly fishing. "Let's cross that bridge if we come to it" should be enough to get them off the subject.

But if you do have a gut feeling that they're being honest despite this, by all means give them a couple of references. The worst that can happen is that they'll get a few cold-calls, and you can warn them about that if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      NAME: fitzy73 etc.
      Barring the name, that was taken from a real application form for a position at McDonalds wasn't it? I recall the applicant got the job too.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Barring the name, that was taken from a real application form for a position at McDonalds wasn't it? I recall the applicant got the job too.
        it's been on here (CUK) a few times too
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I thought that was an urban myth...
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            I thought that was an urban myth...
            You thought correctly...

Comment

Buy twp pay as you go mobile phones and give false names with the numbers for references. When he calls you on a fishing expedition, then you catch him out.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Alas the best ones are always too good to be true
                Last edited by voodooflux; 5 August 2008, 21:37.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

1) When I'm hiring for a Client Co I never ask for references. All they say nowadays is that you worked somewhere between two different dates. I really don't care about that, I only care that you can do the job, so don't bother with them.

2) When I've been looking for a contract I've never been asked for references for a genuine role.

Make of those two things as you will...
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

May I just say from the horses mouth that

REFERENCES ARE NOT NECESSARY UNTIL THE CONTRACTOR HAS BEEN OFFERED THE CONTRACT AND ACCEPTED IT

The business model for recruitment agencies is that they must obtain as many potential leads as they can and that asking for references up front is nothing more than an attempt to get leads.

If someone finds a contractor fitting the bill for a job then no idiot of a recruitment agent will compromise the potential placement by insisting on references before putting the contractor up for the job.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      May I just say from the horses mouth that

REFERENCES ARE NOT NECESSARY UNTIL THE CONTRACTOR HAS BEEN OFFERED THE CONTRACT AND ACCEPTED IT

The business model for recruitment agencies is that they must obtain as many potential leads as they can and that asking for references up front is nothing more than an attempt to get leads.

If someone finds a contractor fitting the bill for a job then no idiot of a recruitment agent will compromise the potential placement by insisting on references before putting the contractor up for the job.
                      Traitor.

PS MODS - Can we have a sticky for this post?

Comment

Working...
                      X