• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    May I just say from the horses mouth that

REFERENCES ARE NOT NECESSARY UNTIL THE CONTRACTOR HAS BEEN OFFERED THE CONTRACT AND ACCEPTED IT

The business model for recruitment agencies is that they must obtain as many potential leads as they can and that asking for references up front is nothing more than an attempt to get leads.

If someone finds a contractor fitting the bill for a job then no idiot of a recruitment agent will compromise the potential placement by insisting on references before putting the contractor up for the job.
    There you go, you've heard it straight from the horses mouth, now don't give them away for free.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      There you go, you've heard it straight from the horses mouth, now don't give them away for free.
      So, how much should we sell them for?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I will go further. Why would a recruitment agency be so concerned about piling up an extra layer of bureaucracy unless it was for a reason? Given that only one in ten Cvs forwarded lead to a placement why ask for references on nine people that you know will not get a job?

Agents are lazy and they will follow the path of least resistance. If it were not for the lead opportunities that references present they probably wouldnt even bother with references on the people they DO place.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Any agent who asks for references before you have had an offer does not have a job for you. In my 10 years I've never needed them even after being offered a role. Not ever. For contracting, clients do not use them - agents only ever want them for leads. If security clearence is needed you will need them, but it is official and you will be given the forms etc, so you know that you are not being scammed.

All benched contractors should stand firm and refuse to deal with agents that do this scam. By standing firm we can stamp it out!

Comment

I had this many times and I knew they were not genuine so declined giving name, but one agency guy really seemed genuine - so gave him a name of a manger who became a really good friend of mine, he spoke with that manager (after I warned him) and that was that, he asked for my quality of work and would they re-employ me again... that was all, never called the manager again asking for vacancies, never bothered them again.

And sure enough - he got me an interview and I got the contract.

Anyway, if you have a gut feeling go with it, give them the name of someone you trust who will get back to you if the recruitment agent gave them any problems.

Comment

Every available position has agencies buzzing round it like flies. Move on to the next agency.

My stock answer that never varies- "I will present references directly to the client at a meeting, if they are asked for".
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Every available position has agencies buzzing round it like flies. Move on to the next agency.

My stock answer that never varies- "I will present references directly to the client at a meeting, if they are asked for".
                You cant do that, that is silly. There is a legal requirement for references to be checked and you should leave it to the agency and the clients administrators to deal with. You only need to get involved in references once the contract has been secured. The last thing that the interviewing hiring manager wants to be bothrered with is references.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If someone finds a contractor fitting the bill for a job then no idiot of a recruitment agent will compromise the potential placement by insisting on references before putting the contractor up for the job.
                  I did have one agent who asked for references up front. I told him I didn't give them out at that stage because they'd just start getting cold calls. He laughed and said, Yeah, but I have to ask, it's my job. I laughed too, and our relationship is OK.

Had another who wouldn't take no for an answer, and started berating me for not "allowing him to pre-check references" even though he didn't have a contract. Your phrase is right, Dodgy, he was an idiot of a recruitment agent. I don't talk to him now.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I did have one agent who asked for references up front. I told him I didn't give them out at that stage because they'd just start getting cold calls. He laughed and said, Yeah, but I have to ask, it's my job. I laughed too, and our relationship is OK.

Had another who wouldn't take no for an answer, and started berating me for not "allowing him to pre-check references" even though he didn't have a contract. Your phrase is right, Dodgy, he was an idiot of a recruitment agent. I don't talk to him now.
                    There are ways of getting leads, the best one being to create a bond of trust. Unfortunately conducting good networking takes a lot of time and effort, but it is worth it. Most agents cannot be bothered and simply lie and bludgeon information out of people. I prefer to think that thrugh my network is not that large I can simply ask most of the contractors I know for information. They know why I am asking it because I tell them.

Comment

There are ways of getting leads, the best one being to create a bond
                      exactly! rewards for leads!

If an agent said "myt word is my bond" I would take his bond.

Obviously DA is the exception to this rule...

Comment

Working...
                      X