• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    This I didn't understand

An agent (Eden Scott) rang me up last week, saying he wanted to talk about a couple of roles and also said he had left a message in the voicemail (false, I haven't received any message from him).

He talked about the roles briefly, like 5 minutes even less, didn't ask for references or else and ended up saying he was already writing me an email with the job specs. Email that never arrived, of course..

I don't get it. What was the reason behind this call if he didn't even try to get some ref? Do agents have to show they have done a minimum number of calls...like some sort of productivity bulltulip?
    I suppose they have to do a minimum number of calls, I have seen agents who have a target of new linkedin connections per week as well

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      1. What Salary are you seeking?
      Either a) "I'm not seeking a salary, I'm a contractor, not a permanent employee" or b) "Competitive"
      2. Why is it your looking for a new opportunity?
      I'm not looking at new opportunities
      3. What is the title of your preferred position at present?
      I'm not looking at new opportunities, so have no preferred position
      4. What is your current notice period?
      I do not leave contracts early, so this is irrelevant
      5. Where would you consider as a good workig location?
      Anywhere that I can get to
      6. Which companies has your CV been sent to in the last 2 month?
      None - I don't look when I'm in contract
      7. Which companies have you interviewed within the last 2 month?
      None - I don't interview when I'm in contract

Looking forward to hearing from you,
      Or alternatively bin it.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
        This I didn't understand

An agent (Eden Scott) rang me up last week, saying he wanted to talk about a couple of roles and also said he had left a message in the voicemail (false, I haven't received any message from him).

He talked about the roles briefly, like 5 minutes even less, didn't ask for references or else and ended up saying he was already writing me an email with the job specs. Email that never arrived, of course..

I don't get it. What was the reason behind this call if he didn't even try to get some ref? Do agents have to show they have done a minimum number of calls...like some sort of productivity bulltulip?
        There was probably something you said that triggered his closedown script, he didn't want to just hang up on you so just gave a little lie to get off the phone. Maybe you weren't enthusiastic enough or came across as cynical enough that he knew you weren't going to fall for a contact-scam or similar. Why persist with someone you know isn't going give up the goods when you can go on to a hopefully desperate contractor/ex-permie wannabe contractor who'll sell his granny's soul for the sniff of a minimum wage contract.

Comment

Had a few recently where the role appears to be genuine but they just then send an email asking you to confirm representation and then slide in the two references thing.

Honestly think some try it on as a bit of a bonus if that manage to get this.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Just had a conversation with an agent from Darwin.
            He told me to send him at least three references (two from the last, and one from my previous employee), as he need to check those before doing any interview.

Comment

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
              Just had a conversation with an agent from Darwin.
              He told me to send him at least three references (two from the last, and one from my previous employee), as he need to check those before doing any interview.
              Would this be Darwin, the "payroll management company" by any chance?

If so then you haven't done your homework and are a naughty boy. You are about to get your trousers pulled down...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Would this be Darwin, the "payroll management company" by any chance?

If so then you haven't done your homework and are a naughty boy. You are about to get your trousers pulled down...
                What do you mean man?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  There is such a difference when a role is genuine and the agent is fishing.

If it's a genuine role, if you ignore the request, things will carry on as if by magic. If it's fishing they will just disappear when you don't croak the info. So no matter what I would just ignore the request, has he told you the clients name? I'll bet not.
                  It's a real role (i applied for it on jobserve)

Comment

It's a real role (i applied for it on jobserve)
                    What makes you think all roles on Jobserve are real?

Comment

What do you mean man?
                      Darwin payroll... Isle of Man. Do some research
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X