• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent backed down

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I'm guessing here but possibly he might be using a real contract possibility to fish. I can't imagine you would need more than one, i.e. kill two birds with one stone. It is possible that the client has asked for a reference, so he thought to himself that he'll get 3 for the price of one and use them for fishing as well.

My advice would be to contact a reference and ask him if your agent can contact him, warning him it might be a fishing trip but there is a real possibility of a contract.

I have been asked for a reference before by an agent and it was bonafide.
    Thanks. After reading some of the messages here I emailed him saying that I wasn't prepared to give him any Manager's direct names or numbers, but he could contact the HR depts of the relevant companies to check that I actually did a contract there and completed it satisfactorily. He immediately replied saying that was fine, after agressively insisting on the phone for 20 minutes yesterday that I give him the names!! So it looks like it is a genuine contract, but he is also trying to use this as a pretext to get leads. He's p**d me off so much by this that I'm inclined not to go ahead, as I can't stand much more of his nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by kcid21 View Post
      Thanks. After reading some of the messages here I emailed him saying that I wasn't prepared to give him any Manager's direct names or numbers, but he could contact the HR depts of the relevant companies to check that I actually did a contract there and completed it satisfactorily. He immediately replied saying that was fine, after agressively insisting on the phone for 20 minutes yesterday that I give him the names!! So it looks like it is a genuine contract, but he is also trying to use this as a pretext to get leads. He's p**d me off so much by this that I'm inclined not to go ahead, as I can't stand much more of his nonsense.
      Seriously?? You would be cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

Comment

Ask him for references for him (the agent) and ask him for references of the person who will potentially be doing the interview... demand that once these have been given, you will give out your references. And then ask him for references from those giving the references ! hell, demand that you require a daily video showing every detail of every action performed within the workplace for the hiring manager.

You never know.....

Comment

Agent hoist by his own petard

I had to share this, because it is so tragi-comic I have even begun to feel sorry for the agent. He insisted on names and phone numbers of previous managers as references for the contract (prior to face-to-face or offer). One of them came back to me this morning saying, I'm quite happy to give you a reference but I'd rather offer you a contract at a higher rate as we're just about to start a new project. I have accepted, but if the agent hadn't insisted on this in his desperation for leads, I would never contacted the manager, never had the offer and the agent wouldn't have lost his commission. I can't think of a clearer example of how their shady practices damage not only us, the contractor, but themselves as well.

Comment

I had to share this, because it is so tragi-comic I have even begun to feel sorry for the agent. He insisted on names and phone numbers of previous managers as references for the contract (prior to face-to-face or offer). One of them came back to me this morning saying, I'm quite happy to give you a reference but I'd rather offer you a contract at a higher rate as we're just about to start a new project. I have accepted, but if the agent hadn't insisted on this in his desperation for leads, I would never contacted the manager, never had the offer and the agent wouldn't have lost his commission. I can't think of a clearer example of how their shady practices damage not only us, the contractor, but themselves as well.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Result!

Please let us know what happens in your next conversation with the agent.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                +1
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Result!

He'll probably try to insist he introduced you and that you have to go through his co.

Comment

I dont know if this has already been discussed in the thread, and frankly, its too ferkin long for me to read thru, but..........

few weeks ago, get a call from an agent about a role right up my alley, paying good, local, agent saying it has my name written all over it.

Would you like to be put forward?. Sure I say. OK, we just need 2 refs first its a client requirement.

I say sorry I can give those when I have an offer of a contract. Agent says ok we'll bypass the refs if you come into the agency I can check you out etc. Since the agency is walking distance, and Ive been asked this bfore, I decide to go to see if its BS or what...

So go and meet him, discusses the role, I notice he isnt going into any technical specifics about the role, rather generic. At the end of his speech he says so now I hope you can see this is a genuine role. I say ye sounds like it. Then he says so are you now ok to supply 2 refs?. I laugh and say no I aint but im glad I came, thank him for his time and leave.

Can you believe the ferkin cheek?!

So keep an eye out for that actic too.

Comment

Originally posted by churkus View Post
                      At the end of his speech he says so now I hope you can see this is a genuine role. I say ye sounds like it. Then he says so are you now ok to supply 2 refs?
                      Did they tell you who the client was?
                      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X