• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm slightly stunned that 10 years after my OP this thread is still going!

After 5 years as a prem, I sent out my CV last week and have received a number of calls from recruiters looking for references.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose ....

Comment

I have just finished a contract and doing the rounds of recruiter convos and telephone interviews. I had two telephone interviews this week and was informed that I could move forward and was asked directly by the end hirer for references. When I provided previous agency details both said that they need end-client details because they wanted to speak with someone who could "talk about the actual work I had done". Agency references were always fine in the past so I am wondering if I should have insisted that all reference requests go via the hiring agency?

Comment

I sometimes get this, mainly from off short outfits, I always suggest that they contact a Mr Hugh Jass.

Comment

I’ve just been rung by an agency I’ve used multiple times. The little scamp (recent starter, I guess) got his words muddled and ended up asking if I was in a relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Bheleu View Post
            I sometimes get this, mainly from off short outfits, I always suggest that they contact a Mr Hugh Jass.
            Stick with the Simpsons theme - Amanda Huggenkiss is another great one.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Happened to me yesterday. An agency said, he couldn't forward my CV for a job unless I gave him the name and number of my current or previous manager, so that he could have an "off-the-record chat" (yes - thats what he called it!), with them.

I politely told him to jog on.

First time I've encountered this..

Comment

Agency reference requests

Trying to get agencies to confirm previous contract dates, new agency can't even get replies from pimps.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  Happened to me yesterday. An agency said, he couldn't forward my CV for a job unless I gave him the name and number of my current or previous manager, so that he could have an "off-the-record chat" (yes - thats what he called it!), with them.

Does being so hostile actually get you anywhere though?

I just see a lot of contractors who think it's them vs. the world, and I don't know where it actually gets them in the long run

A pretty fundamental part of business is getting on with people, and networking, and communication. Maybe you'd actually have managers wanting to provide you references if you worked harder at this

Comment

Originally posted by Matt88 View Post
                    Does being so hostile actually get you anywhere though?

I just see a lot of contractors who think it's them vs. the world, and I don't know where it actually gets them in the long run

A pretty fundamental part of business is getting on with people, and networking, and communication. Maybe you'd actually have managers wanting to provide you references if you worked harder at this
                    Really.

It's not really references though is it? Much of the time it's just lead generation for the pimp and no job offer for the contractor.

When you've been repeatedly lied to and suckered, that 'wariness' (yes, let's be polite) has been hard earned.

If recruiters want respect, they have to earn that too. Once earned they stay on my LinkedIn network; the others can 'jog on'.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post

Teksystems?

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X