• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to turn down a contract properly....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to turn down a contract properly....

HI everyone, I know its a noobie question, but please hear me out.

Twice now I have had to turn down a contract after the interview. First time my fault, didn't correctly ask the pimp at what rate I was put forward at. I just said yep, go ahead, called me with interview next day, interviewed that afternoon. But it was £50 lower in my rate, so I stuck to my guns and said no.

Second time, I went to the interview, but the role was EXACTLY what I DIDN'T want, so turned down after the interview.

So as you can see, I Basically need to find how to say no to a role, and not get blacklisted by a recruiter. Neither of them have spoken to me since.

Is this just all part of it?

Experiences?

Originally posted by StuntManMike View Post
    HI everyone, I know its a noobie question, but please hear me out.

Twice now I have had to turn down a contract after the interview. First time my fault, didn't correctly ask the pimp at what rate I was put forward at. I just said yep, go ahead, called me with interview next day, interviewed that afternoon. But it was £50 lower in my rate, so I stuck to my guns and said no.

Second time, I went to the interview, but the role was EXACTLY what I DIDN'T want, so turned down after the interview.

So as you can see, I Basically need to find how to say no to a role, and not get blacklisted by a recruiter. Neither of them have spoken to me since.

Is this just all part of it?

Experiences?
    Don't worry, there are lots of agents. Even the ones who are not speaking to you will contact you for a suitable role. They need you to make them money. Unless your skills are 10 a penny.
    Stick to your guns. Dont take work you dont want.
    It would help if you talked to the agent first, agreed a rate and other conditions that must be met before he puts you forward. Always ask for a job spec, though it has been my experience that the client cant or wont provide one.
    The more info you can give the agent about what you want or will accept the better.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thanks Lone gunman, appreciate your input. I'm Learning how to deal with them all the time, so sure things will improve.

Comment

Seems to me you're going about it the right way.

I can't see a problem with turning the first one down. Offer and acceptance should always be subject to final terms and conditions, whether it's the contractual conditions or rate. Who's to say you wouldn't find out at interview stage the client wants the world on a stick for much cheapness?

And blacklisting is an urban myth. As TLG says, if a pimp can make money out of you he will be on the phone, even if you called his mum a whore the day before...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Definitely do not take work you do not want! It will only end up boring you and reflecting badly on you....

Comment

Sometimes agents get given insufficient or downright wrong information from their clients, which is why they sometimes send unsuitable people to interview. Best thing is to give the agent a call, be nice & help him to understand why the match was bad & what kind of person he should send next time.

Comment

Working...
            X