• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Etiquette about phoning an agent associated with an ad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etiquette about phoning an agent associated with an ad

Hi,

A few days ago, I saw an ad and noticed that the agent and her number were listed at the bottom of the page. I decided to phone, partly to find out more about the job and partly to introduce myself as a candidate. When I called, she very quickly told me that in the interest of fairness to the other candidates, I should send along my resume.

I'm a bit confused about this. If they didn't want me to phone them up and "jump the queue", why would they post their phone number at the bottom of the ad? And if they indeed have a lot of resumes in front of them, then mine would be one of them anyway - and they have the opportunity right then and there to talk with one of the candidates.

Did I violate etiquette?

Etiquette

Send in the CV and then phone usually the best way, that way he/she has the document in front of her.

Comment

I usually send the CV then chase it up with a phone call a day later. But that's just me...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I send CV in, and then phone about an hour later, and start selling - "As you can see from my CV, I'm clearly the best candidate for this contract...". Make sure you drive the conversation, not them.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I send CV in, and then phone about an hour later, and start selling - "As you can see from my CV, I'm clearly the best candidate for this contract...". Make sure you drive the conversation, not them.
          Probably where I've always gone wrong in the past, I always make sure they have my CV and have had a look at it then I usually get the "I'm still reviewing all the CV's at the moment" and I leave it with them.
          I usually find that if they have had a look at my CV and the conversation goes no further, they have already made up their mind.
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Etiquette with agents! Jesus, I weep!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No - no etiquette, just knowing how to deal with people for your own benefit.

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
              Probably where I've always gone wrong in the past, I always make sure they have my CV and have had a look at it then I usually get the "I'm still reviewing all the CV's at the moment" and I leave it with them.
              I usually find that if they have had a look at my CV and the conversation goes no further, they have already made up their mind.
              When they say "I'm reviewing it", you say, do you have it in front of you

if they say yes -> "well, ask you can see, I've done blah ..."
              if they say no -> "Well get it in front of you then!"

You can also point out that you're interested in this gig, but you've other irons in the fire, and if they want you, they'll have to respond quickly. Just like they tell you that there's many candidates and if you want the job, you'll have to agree to a rate now...
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Agent telephoned me about me a job. (I applied for one on the south coast) and I uploaded my CV at his request to their site. Now my phone is constantly ringing. Apparently my CV has been accessed by every agency in the UK looking for Marine civil engineering, Project managers, and many abroad; all because I failed to click the restricted access tab

Calls from companies, calls from agencies, emails in the hundreds

Mind you, the money I'm being offered (not asking for) is rising with each phone call as I dither about which project seems to be the most interesting

One job offer has risen by £20,000 a year in just a week. Two weeks on, one week off, free flights, life insurance (now increased to cover wifey too). free fuel and car (one at home and one at each site now) + BUPA. It seems that for many years I have undervalued myself

One agent/company wants to fly me out to Belgium for an interview. I told her no, that I would interview in the UK only. she said, leave it with me, I'll get them to send someone over. They are chasing me to get you on-board.
                I now have an interview at Bristol airport next week with the clients rep, all expenses paid

So not all agents are bad
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                  I don't get that I get a simple "yes" or "no".

Probably because I have learnt with agents not to have any tact especially when I've rearranged my CV to fit the role.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    No - no etiquette, just knowing how to deal with people for your own benefit.

When they say "I'm reviewing it", you say, do you have it in front of you

if they say yes -> "well, ask you can see, I've done blah ..."
                    if they say no -> "Well get it in front of you then!"

You can also point out that you're interested in this gig, but you've other irons in the fire, and if they want you, they'll have to respond quickly. Just like they tell you that there's many candidates and if you want the job, you'll have to agree to a rate now...
                    Oh, ok. Sorry misunderstood.

Some good advice there.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X