• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Role, No contract signed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I've just received a contract which states that the 'service provider is obliged to work the full term of the contract period'

Is this frequently used, and should I challenge it to be 28 days or something?

TIA
    Why 28 days? If you are able to "Negotiate" the termination date, it should be 7 days at best. However, it isn't unusual.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Spot on.

UK contract law is quite clear on this with the 3 basic requirements:-

Offer - You obviously received this
      Acceptance - You've been working there so that's a given
      Consideration - You've been paid (or I hope so)
      Consideration does not have to be paid for the contract to exist, it only has to be offered.

It doesn't have to be money (indeed the contractors "consideration" within the contract is not money),

and it doesn't have to be "sufficient" (I.e it doesn't have to be what a reasonable person would expect it to be).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        In other words they can hold you to the contract notice period by getting you to pay the fees they can't collect because you broke the contract and caused them pecuniary loss.
        No, these aren't two different ways of saying the same thing.

They are completely different, that is the point.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          I've just received a contract which states that the 'service provider is obliged to work the full term of the contract period'

Is this frequently used, and should I challenge it to be 28 days or something?

TIA

It's as frequently used as they think they can get away with it.

Whether you should challenge it depends upon how much it might cost if you want to break such a clause.

tim

Comment

Working...
          X