• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming broadband as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming broadband as an expense

I've done a search on the above and got mixed results.

Some posters seem to be claiming the cost of their broadband fully as an expense whereas others seem to suggest that only a proportion can be claimed.
    Hence, wanted to canvas the board.

If you are fully expensing this cost, is this because you are, for example, a web developer and so internet access is core to your business? Also, does this mean the bill is in your Ltd's name?

If you are only expensing a proportion of the cost, is this because you would find fully expensing the cost difficult to justify because, for example, you work on a helpdesk. If so, how are you calculating the proportion to expense? Is it a simple 50% split?

Hmmm... I fully expense mine - I can't work from home without it. Had no advice to the contrary. If they questioned me I would say that I provide myself with a PAYG 3G dongle for my personal use (which I have and pay for personally!).

That said... HMRC say

this

and the last paragraph of this

Comment

I'd say broadband is a legitimate expense for any business these days.

I tried to tell my accountant that I should probably declare a proportion because I get masses of personal use out of it (e.g. now) but he was having none of it. Now that I see HeliCraig's links, that was probably because it was installed for business reasons (if I hadn't, I'd still be downloading SQL Server Desktop 2000 right now).

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        (if I hadn't, I'd still be downloading SQL Server Desktop 2000 right now).

Crikey when would you get SSMS 2008 ??

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

If you are fully expensing this cost, is this because you are, for example, a web developer and so internet access is core to your business?
          Yes.

Even if I'm working at a client's site there will be things that I need to look up at home.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Also, does this mean the bill is in your Ltd's name?
          Yes

One of the reasons I got broadband in my Ltd company's name was that the company I originally had broadband with was taken over by Tiscali. The connection became very unreliable and because I couldn't get out of the contract for a few more months, I got a cable connection in my Ltd company's name. So at one time I had 2 broadband connections.

Plus with business broadband if there is a problem I get straight through to a customer service rep on the telephone and I haven't had a full day down yet. There as if you have ever suffered a Tiscali call centre you know you are lucky to get through to someone within 30 minutes and even then they are not likely to know what they are doing.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X