• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another handcuff question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you opted out or opted in?

If you haven't opted out you are opted in. Take a nice 6 week (8 week?) break, go work for the company with nothing to pay.

If you are opted out wait till the end of contract, have a break of 1 day, opt-in, take an extension, give notice, take that break, go work for the company with nothing to pay.

Alternatively negotiate down to 6 or 8 weeks [maximum opted in handcuff] of the salalry (not your rate).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Are you opted out or opted in?
      I opted out.

I suggested something similar to what you're suggesting but the 6-8 week break isn't an option the client wants.

Pimp suggested to me maybe do a 3 month extension, I carry on at normal rate but they heavily discount their fee then switch at the end. That's being mulled over by client.

Something should get resolved next week, still staggered at the cheek of the assumption that I'm somehow beholden to them just 'cos I want to take up a different position at the same client (similar skillset required though) yet I could go anywhere else, contract or perm, with no issue.

Edit: As a thought re the opted out bit, I didn't have any interview at the current client as the hiring manager knew me from a previous client. Does that count as being introduced, I've assumed not?
      Gronda Gronda

Comment

Unfortunately, I would guess that that's a rather tenuous 'introduction'

Comment

First question. Does whatever the agency charges affect whether you get the job? If it doesnt I dont understand why you need to be involved as the whole thing is a contractual matter between the client and the agent.

Forget what idiots like Turion say as their version of "fairness" is their version and is hardly objective.

Secondly 12 months (in my experience) constitutes restrictive practice, whereas 6 months is reasonable.
          If I were the client I would say "here's £10k sue me for the rest, oh and by the way no more business"
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Like I say, I'm not actually involved, just getting to hear it all through aquaintance.

If agency were sticking to 28k that would definitely lose me the job, no way the client would (or should) pay that. Since they've dropped to 12k we're at the stage if they absolutely have to they probably will pay but no further business.

Still got sales mgr visiting this week so they're hoping he'll see some sense/reason and drop nearer to the £5k-ish they wanted.

You're right in that it's a client negotiation, just fascinating (in a bad way ) to hear first-hand what can go on.
            Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
              Like I say, I'm not actually involved, just getting to hear it all through aquaintance.

If agency were sticking to 28k that would definitely lose me the job, no way the client would (or should) pay that. Since they've dropped to 12k we're at the stage if they absolutely have to they probably will pay but no further business.

Still got sales mgr visiting this week so they're hoping he'll see some sense/reason and drop nearer to the £5k-ish they wanted.

You're right in that it's a client negotiation, just fascinating (in a bad way ) to hear first-hand what can go on.
              If the client were determined he could write his own deal. No agency is stupid enough to try and go to court no matter what they may say.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                If the client were determined he could write his own deal. No agency is stupid enough to try and go to court no matter what they may say.
                Indeed, as I said if I was the client I would present the agency with a couple of stark options in the light of their stupid behavior.

1. They hire you as a perm for no fee and the agency stays on the PSL, future fees pegged at a low price.

2. They kick the agency into touch, refuse to do any future business and cancel all current business immediately (contractors can be quietly rehired via another agent or direct and the agent stands almost no chance of winning if they make a fuss).

With your agent acting like a complete arse he deserves no fees at all.

Comment

Working...
                X