• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managed Service Companies ( Umbrella )

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed Service Companies ( Umbrella )

Hi ,
    when I started contracting I chose the option of using an umbrella company, it seemed simple and to be honest I was being a bit lazy. I got the name of a company from the PCG recomended companies page, got a quote and signed up with them.This has been working fine but I have now decided to change to a Ltd company .

I recently came across some articles on contracting websites that lead me to believe that the company I used was a type of 'Managed Service Company', which Inland Revenue are starting to target for tax avoidance. I was wondering if anyone has been hit by this and should i be expecting a tax bill for the last years work ? Is this going to cause me problems with my new Ltd company or if i go back permie ? I am going to speak to my accountant about this as well but I wondered if anyone here had any experiences to speak of.

Originally posted by stantheman View Post
    Hi ,
    when I started contracting I chose the option of using an umbrella company, it seemed simple and to be honest I was being a bit lazy. I got the name of a company from the PCG recomended companies page, got a quote and signed up with them.This has been working fine but I have now decided to change to a Ltd company .

I recently came across some articles on contracting websites that lead me to believe that the company I used was a type of 'Managed Service Company', which Inland Revenue are starting to target for tax avoidance. I was wondering if anyone has been hit by this and should i be expecting a tax bill for the last years work ? Is this going to cause me problems with my new Ltd company or if i go back permie ? I am going to speak to my accountant about this as well but I wondered if anyone here had any experiences to speak of.
    If you are going to speak to your accountant about this, then why ask us for advice?

If you are using an Umbrella company as your employer, then you should be in no danger of being caught under the MSC legislation, unless you participated in an EBT scheme.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

[QUOTE=pmeswani;687678]If you are going to speak to your accountant about this, then why ask us for advice?QUOTE]

Ease up Tiger, that's what often happens here.

But he's right - if yuo've been brolly then you should be OK. But make sure yuo are brolly and not in an MSC scheme that looks like a broly as there are many of these still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post

Ease up Tiger, that's what often happens here.
        Sorry about that. Bed + wrong side = me.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I believe I am in an EBT scheme and after digging around a bit i think i am in for a world of pain with this. I took the company from the PCG website so I thought it would be ok ( naive ), I suppose if its sounds too good to be true.....

Comment

Originally posted by stantheman View Post
            I believe I am in an EBT scheme and after digging around a bit i think i am in for a world of pain with this. ...
            You could very well be. Get some professional advice quickly. The fact that yuo don't know whether you are in an EBT scheme or and MSC is worrying in itself and I think you should be more informed about how you manage your affairs.

Also, you say you are going to speak to your accountant. If the accountant is the EBT scheme provider bear in mind he might not give you the most balanced advice available.

Comment

Working...
            X