• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away from home & interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away from home & interviews

Just had a call from an agency wanting to fill a 3-day role in London. Was suspicious since they apparently want someone this week, but he didn't ask anything about references etc.
    So anyway I was gently interested, until he phoned back and said they want me to travel down tomorrow and meet them for an interview. Meaning if I get it I would start the next day.
    Is this normal? Apart from them not being to pay any expenses, I wouldn't be able to book my return travel or anything until after the interview!

How does it normally work when you are put forward for a role away from home?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just had a call from an agency wanting to fill a 3-day role in London. Was suspicious since they apparently want someone this week, but he didn't ask anything about references etc.
    So anyway I was gently interested, until he phoned back and said they want me to travel down tomorrow and meet them for an interview. Meaning if I get it I would start the next day.
    Is this normal? Apart from them not being to pay any expenses, I wouldn't be able to book my return travel or anything until after the interview!

In these case I always ask to have a quick telephone chat with the client before meeting- just to make sure not going to be messed about eg job not as described or anything else.

Comment

I did a 540 mile round trip drive last Monday, it turned out to be a total bust from my perspective as the role wasn't as described. I regard it as one of my costs of doing business.

In your particular circumstance I would let them know the situation and ask for a telephone interview or expenses to be paid.

Comment

Usually it's been one of 2 ways:
        1. interviewed in person by a local employee or by an agent (agents used to know enough about what they were doing to tell a COBOL programmer from a hole in the ground).
        or
        2. Telephone interview with hiring manager.

If you offer them something free of cost to them, they may take it without a second thought. If it is going to cost somebody something, there is more chance that they will only do it if they are serious. Conversely they may be serious but not prepared to pay for the fact that you happen to live somewhere else, you never can tell.

Comment

are you saying that the job is for 3 days only ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            are you saying that the job is for 3 days only ?
            Indeed. At least, for now. I'd actually be happy to take something for only a week in London as an experiment since I have no idea if I would hate being there, and my current work is quite flexible.
            But being based in the North-East, no way am I travelling without expenses or believing the risk factor is acceptable.

Comment

If asked to do an interview at very short notice that is some distance from home ie over 2.5 hour drive in EACH direction, I'd always ask for a telephone interview instead.

Its only reasonable if the client wants role filling at such short notice. Otherwise I'd turn it down.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                If asked to do an interview at very short notice that is some distance from home ie over 2.5 hour drive in EACH direction, I'd always ask for a telephone interview instead.

Its only reasonable if the client wants role filling at such short notice. Otherwise I'd turn it down.
                In hindsight I should have done this for last Monday's interview which was arranged late on the previous Thursday, it was roughly 6 hours each way and it poured it down as soon as I got South of Birmingham.

Comment

Oh and just 2 days ago you were crowing to us about how good the recession was to you because you were saving 100 pounds month on mortgage payment.

Now, how does that small saving compare to being jobless?, to scratching around for 3 day roles away from home. How much per month are you worse off by not working 3k, 4k, 5k....10k...??

Seriously - Travelling for an interview for a 3 day role - there're 'aving a lauf. Insist on tele interview, or just say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    Oh and just 2 days ago you were crowing to us about how good the recession was to you because you were saving 100 pounds month on mortgage payment.

Now, how does that small saving compare to being jobless?, to scratching around for 3 day roles away from home. How much per month are you worse off by not working 3k, 4k, 5k....10k...??

Seriously - Travelling for an interview for a 3 day role - there're 'aving a lauf. Insist on tele interview, or just say no.
                    I'm not jobless. I have one 1/2-time gig and another full-time, where I am sub-contracting out part of the work.
                    Because these are all 100% remote, I am on the lookout for something juicy, and could subcontract out more of my current work (with a profit margin) if it came along. The only problem with current projects is the rates are not great.

Comment

Working...
                    X