• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Networking ie Linkedin slowly replace jobboards ie Jobserve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Networking ie Linkedin slowly replace jobboards ie Jobserve

After building up a Linkedin network of over 50 agents and ex collegues and joining a few user groups ,I am receiving enquiries sometimes before the job appears on Jobserve. The agents are also posting job adds on the network site as well. I can also send a message directly to the agent if the job interests me. With jobserve the actual name of the agent is sometimes not even displayed so I dont know which guy at the agency is dealing with the job requirement. From the agencies point of view the network is probabily a duplication of their database. From the pimps point of view when he changes
    agency he takes all his contacts with him.
    The downside to Linkedin is that some of the user groups ie" SAP Belgian professionals " contain members outside Europe who obviously do not have the right to work in Belgium. The user group therefore becomes rather cluttered.

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    The downside to Linkedin is that some of the user groups ie" SAP Belgian professionals " contain members outside Europe who obviously do not have the right to work in Belgium. The user group therefore becomes rather cluttered.
    ...why not set up your own?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I've noticed a flood of BA vaccancies on there from around the world, so I would have to go with yes.
      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
      "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        ...why not set up your own?
        The problem with setting up your own is that you will be flooded with emails in your in box requesting to join your group.
        Most of the user groups are created by agencies,who are paid to find the right contractor for the job, so perhaps in the long run they will filter out non visa holders or members who by definition do not belong in that group.
        They might also set up more narrowly defined groups ie Russian spanish speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
          After building up a Linkedin network of over 50 agents and ex collegues and joining a few user groups ,I am receiving enquiries sometimes before the job appears on Jobserve.
          Why build up a network of agents? Surely the whole point of networking is to move away from agencies and use previous/current contacts to find work?!

Comment

Missing the point?

IMHO, jobboards and/or agencies are necessary evils in the freelance world. However they are just one of a number of sources for finding new business opportunities. Networking is also a valuable tool and one that needs to be used more, especially in times like we are facing at present.

Comment

I joined a few groups on linked in, but tbh I'm getting rather fed up of them as they are filled with Indians asking how to do their job, and then begging for jobs in the UK/US....

Comment

Heh, it's also been my experience that there are a few Indian chaps and chapesses tyring to get unpaid intern work in the UK or USA.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
                  Why build up a network of agents? Surely the whole point of networking is to move away from agencies and use previous/current contacts to find work?!
                  Yes, In the long run.

I have a network of agents,ex collegues and direct contacts that I have found on the network site.
                  I use networking to check the employment history of an agent . If I have had a good relationship with an agent I can track him to his new agency.
                  I can also avoid one as well.

Comment

To be honest, I think LinkedIn has become so overrun by agencies that its original purpose has been largely lost. I am in a few LI groups and they are pretty useless IMO.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X