• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Abroad (tax liablility related)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Abroad (tax liablility related)

Guys,

In a little bit of a muddle and any suggestions would help..

Started on a contract in Luxembourg 3 months ago.. through a UK based umberlla company and only now realized.. that I should have registered here locally and pay local taxes.. My contract is till the end of the year.. what should I do? If i declare now and start paying local taxes now, will they question my previous 3 months? or should I just leave it - my agency suggested that, since my contract length is 10 months (which is < than 1 yr) I'm still covered as a UK tax payer.

The sticky point is that my contract rate is low, and paying local taxes (40-50%) here could make my stay here very difficult..

Thanks in advance,
    Jh

You are still UK resident but may also be Lux resident

[QUOTE=*john_78*;860184]Guys,

In a little bit of a muddle and any suggestions would help..

Started on a contract in Luxembourg 3 months ago.. through a UK based umberlla company and only now realized.. that I should have registered here locally and pay local taxes.. My contract is till the end of the year.. what should I do? If i declare now and start paying local taxes now, will they question my previous 3 months? or should I just leave it - my agency suggested that, since my contract length is 10 months (which is < than 1 yr) I'm still covered as a UK tax payer.

The sticky point is that my contract rate is low, and paying local taxes (40-50%) here could make my stay here very difficult..

Thanks in advance,

Do you travel back to the UK every weekend or now and then?
    Are you staying in a hotel or in rented house/appartment?

If the tax in Lux is higher than in UK you will lose out as a UK resident
    as the UK uses the Credit method

Tax due Uk XXXX
    less Lux tax XX can't be greater than above

Lux uses the exempt method

Income UK 50,000
    Income Lux 50,000
    Total 100,000

Tax 40000
    less 20000 UK =50% of income
    Tax 20000

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dtmanual/DT12325.htm

Comment

I travel back to the UK now and then.. and rent a apartment in Germany.. (Somewhere I read that if staying in Germany I will have to pay German tax...)

Also, will the 183 day rule apply for me (as I use a managed company in the UK - Sanzar/Umberlla Staff) and hence will it be okay for the first 6 months to pay just UK tax?

Comment

Not so simple

Originally posted by *john_78* View Post
        I travel back to the UK now and then.. and rent a apartment in Germany.. (Somewhere I read that if staying in Germany I will have to pay German tax...)

Also, will the 183 day rule apply for me (as I use a managed company in the UK - Sanzar/Umberlla Staff) and hence will it be okay for the first 6 months to pay just UK tax?
        Your scenario has now gone beyond my simple understanding of Double taxation as an accountant. You now have to consider cross-border agreements + maybe double taxation agreements in 3 couintries.

Keep a log on a simple speadsheet of your actual days in UK and Germany
        so you will know whether you hit the 183 day ruling in Luxembourg/Germany.
        Did you have to legally register in Germany? in order to rent?

Comment

It's simple to keep up to 98% of your cash. Just find an offshore brolly who will put everything into an offshore account for a small fee. Sorteeeeeeed

Comment

Yes, I'd to register here locally (Germany) in order to rent.

Thanks for trying to help... but am totally confused as to - where to pay my tax.. UK/Germany/Luxembourg? Atleast till the 183 days can I pay just UK taxes?

Turion, I wish I could do that..

To re-iterate my situation..
            Working in Luxembourg, living in Germany, paid by UK based management company into UK account.. (Have registered in germany for paying rent..)

Comment

Very simple:

If you reside in Germany for more than 183 days (excluding any holidays, weekends etc you are not in the country) then you are classed as a german resident and therefore should pay taxes on your worldwide income from the January to January tax year period in which you have broken the 183 day limit.

Therefore you pay german taxes and then declare the income and tax paid on your uk tax return using the dual taxation agreement between germany and uk.

The fact that your work requires you to cross the border in lux may also mean you have to pay lux taxes as you also may well pass the days in country limit for taxation. Also, working via a Uk brolly might complicate the various hoops you have to jump through regarding insurances etc. required but now we're getting way out of my knowledge area.

It is reallyonly my guess but I personally wouldnt like to fill out all the mountain of paperwork explaining all this and most likely the reaon you got the gig in the first place is because your much cheapness and personally liable for the various taxes to be paid.. I wish you the best of luck in sorting it out but I wouldnt hesitate in tackling it. German tax authorities are very efficient and not the friendliest of people.

I'd recommend you give Thomas Zitzelsberger a call and explain your situation, he is my accountant here in Germany, speaks excellent English and came highly recommended from several colleagues

Steuerberater

Wallmenichstrasse 24

81369 München

Tel 0049-(0)89-780 18 197

Fax 0049-(0)89-780 18 727

[email protected]

www.expattax.de

HTH

Chef
              Last edited by chef; 9 June 2009, 09:32.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Hmmm not so simple. Luxembourg has cross border arrangements with the three neighbouring countries (Belgium, France and Germany) as 10's of thousands of workers live outside Luxembourg but work in the Grand Duchy.
                In these cases (which sounds like yours) you pay all your taxes and social security payments in Luxembourg. You may have to inform the German authorities but there are no takes to pay (unless you have other revenue streams from outside Luxembourg).

Originally posted by chef View Post
                Very simple:

If you reside in Germany for more than 183 days (excluding any holidays, weekends etc you are not in the country) then you are classed as a german resident and therefore should pay taxes on your worldwide income from the January to January tax year period in which you have broken the 183 day limit.
                Chef

Comment

If you rent a flat in Germany greater than 40 sq metre then you are liable for tax regardless of how long you've been there.

In the UK lux and Germany the DTA state that income as emplyoment income is not taxed again. As long as you're an employee then the UK authorities shouldn't tax it again according to credit, this only applies to dividends. You would have to make it clear what your income is and quote the relevant DTA paragraph available on the web.

Due to the DTA you don't need to worry about multiple taxation.

I've been tax resident in multiple countries and this is how I've found it.

However you will need to fill out tax forms in each country that you are resident.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

...........most likely the reaon you got the gig in the first place is because your much cheapness and personally liable for the various taxes to be paid.....

That is such a good point - try & digest it before signing up. Wish I had.....
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X