• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Question about contracting in luxemburg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question about contracting in luxemburg

quick question,

My problem is this I've never contracted outside of the UK before and i think there is a strong possibility I might be offered a telecoms contract in luxemburg.

During the intial application process I asked for and got the rate I wanted ( I initally applied for this role in the summer) and it was reiterated and agreed with the agent during the interview feeback session last week.

However I've been on the bench for a while and if I am offered this role I want the agency to play for flights or my relocation costs. Additionally the agent let slip their agency have never been used by the client before - I'm trying to think of the best way I use this piece of information to my advantage.

I asked the agency about flight and relocation before but they tried to wriggle out of it. I feel enough time as passed since I raised this question in summer with agency and I am wondering what would be the best strategy to use if I am offered the role?

Another quick question while I'm at it.

What's the tax situation like in luxemburg? A mate of mine told me it's a tax haven, the agent for this contract told me it I could opeaterate from my Ltd company and my accountant is unsure.

I'm totally confused does anyone have an idea or can point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 3 October 2009, 18:24.

It's a tax haven for people who don't live and work there. Just like in other European countries some people think they can just shove money in an offshore account and that's OK with the Lux authorities. Well I can assure you it isn't if they find out. No... tax is no different to anywhere else, and I wouldn't screw around with the authorites. You can use your Ltd co. for a limited period, but if you intend to stay go as an employee. Take home is around 65-70%. If you return frequently to the UK then make sure you're registered with a UK address, and that you can prove that all hotel receipts are really for business. provide proof that you worked on those days. Then you can offset your hotel costs against tax. For my management co, they set me up a UK contract for a minimal amount so I could pay UK NI instead of Lux. This is worth it, is a slight bend of the rules, but provided you've got plane tickets to prove you returned from time to time is pretty water tight, as you do actually do a bit of "work", i.e. a bit of market research.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

cheers that's absolutely brilliant and puts my mind at rest as i know where I now stand.

I am assuming that that yes I can put some my potential earnings through my ltd company for a certain time period.

As I don't want to atttract the attentions of the tax man in any country, I wonder if anyone can suggest a good reasonable managed service company I can use?
      Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 1 October 2009, 12:24.

Comment

Working...
      X