• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away from home - what can I expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away from home - what can I expense?

Well, the contract market being what it is, i'm seriously considering having to contract away from home, even maybe in mainland Europe...

Obviously there'd be costs: travel, accomodation, subsistence.

What would I be able to claim back as expenses?

I remember I did a 6 week contract in Ireland years back when I first started contracting and put EVERYTHING though. My accountant didn't bat an eyelid. Now i'm a bit more careful...

Thoughts?

Many thanks
    Lou

Ask your accountant and use search on this forum
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

All travel (train, taxi, flights etc)
      Hotel room & meal costs

If you rent a place then (providing you're not using it at weekends and it's not your main residence), rent, council tax, leccy, gas, water etc.

Any food costs that are above and beyond what you would normally spend at home.

You cannot generally claim for things that you will use personally that are not wholly and exclusivley for business. For example, a new flat screen TV for a rented apartment whilst away would not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        All travel (train, taxi, flights etc)

You cannot generally claim for things that you will use personally that are not wholly and exclusivley for business. For example, a new flat screen TV for a rented apartment whilst away would not be allowed.
        No, only MPs are allowed to do that

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Sad but true I'm afraid.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Pondlife - I thought it would be that, but just wanted to clarify before i spoke to my accountant about it

Lou

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              How smart of you to make an original quip. The whole point is they're NOT allowed, but did it anyway and now are in trouble for it like anyone else who fiddles their expenses (ok they get more leniency in some cases but then some employers would be more lenient than others too).
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't see any of them being landed with an income tax bill for the benefits-in-kind they've failed to declare.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                  I remember I did a 6 week contract in Ireland years back when I first started contracting and put EVERYTHING though.
                  Yeah, shove everything through: booze, hookers, late night pot noodleTV channel.

The worse that can happen is that some of them will not be allowed against tax.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    How smart of you to make an original quip. The whole point is they're NOT allowed, but did it anyway and now are in trouble for it like anyone else who fiddles their expenses (ok they get more leniency in some cases but then some employers would be more lenient than others too).
                    If being in trouble means having to speak up and say that it was within the rules, I am ready for trouble.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Working...
                    X