• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent gone bust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dack View Post
    I'm more angry with myself for not taking firmer action when the payments began to be consistently late.

But no good looking back, the bitter experience will ensure it never happens to me again.
    Can't be too hard on yourself though. What could you have done? A bit of shouting and threatening to quit won't have stopped a sinking ship and if you had walked at the time you might not have had work for 3 months so been in a worse position than you are now.

Can't worry about what was too much. Sounds like there is still work for you and salvageable by another agent to continue to get paid so good luck with that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers northernladuk.

We've had payment problems for over 3 years so I should have walked when the market was more buoyant. But like you said, I could've ended up out of work for 3+ months.

We did threaten not to come into work but the client explained that Pendas would be contractually allowed to put forward replacements (there's enough out of work contractors to choose from).

I think the lesson to take away from this is to cough up for PCG's Plus membership (covers upto 7.5k for agency insolvencies) and monitor all payments closely (good guidelines here).

I guess the one good thing to come out of this is unequivocal proof of a 'risk' factor in the face of any IR35 investigation
      You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Maybe Maxine knows more?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Maybe Maxine knows more?
          edited for the reason given below.
          Last edited by scotspine; 2 December 2009, 12:10. Reason: potentially libellous material.

Comment

Condolences to all those who are out of pocket, but on the plus side a totally cr*p agency dies a timely death. One of the good things to come out of a quality recession is the weeding out of the sick and the useless i.e. Maxine and her crowd of incompetents.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
              Condolences to all those who are out of pocket, but on the plus side a totally cr*p agency dies a timely death. One of the good things to come out of a quality recession is the weeding out of the sick and the useless i.e. Maxine and her crowd of incompetents.
              Every cloud ......
              You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Originally posted by dack View Post

We did threaten not to come into work but the client explained that Pendas would be contractually allowed to put forward replacements (there's enough out of work contractors to choose from).
                So you could walk out due to the incompetence of the agency yet the agency can simply provide more contractors with little fallout for themselves. I hope you made it clear to client co that by accepting replacements on the same rate they would in fact be hiring a load of inexperienced contractors. I mean if 10+ contractors with experience at the client co walked at the same time, it would have an impact on client co, as would hiring 10 newbies with no business experience at the client co. And client co would accept that instead of thrashing the hell out of incompetent agency? Duff client co to agency contract I would say, foolish client co for signing such a contract

Originally Posted by Stan.goodvibes
                ...make that 'crowd of lying incomptents' as I`ve found our from various sources
                Last edited by SuperZ; 1 December 2009, 20:37.

Comment

As one of the 15 or so on site Met Office contractors affected by this. It would be interesting to know what other sites have been hit by Pendragon's demise.

Anybody know who was on their book?

Would be interesting to know how much they’ve been hit too. A rough estimate here would suggest past and present contractors are owed around £150k by Maxine and co.

Also, group action may be better than an individual approach in dealing with the liquidators so can anyone recommend a debt collection agency to attend meetings on our behalf?

Comment

As one of those affected at the Met Office, I've little doubt lying incompetents were by their lying and incompetent ways ignoring their duty to protect creditor's interests.

Should the IP find so, then I'm all for giving Maxine, ex hubby Marc ( a former stockbroker ) et al the time of their lives - they'd then be potentially personally liable for debts, surely? Do the utmost to get them blacklisted as directors etc...

Comment

Sorry to hear so many have had issues with Pendragon, I hope nobdy loses too much money.

AWE also got hammered by them (I've heard of a few guys that were owed several months money) and I think the Law Society must have been affected.

Shame we can't generate a tracking list of these types of scumbag, so that contractors can keep tabs on which Agency these pieces of human trash are in, but knowing the way most agencies operate it would end up being an extremely big list!!

Good luck to all involved.
                      Last edited by scotspine; 2 December 2009, 12:07. Reason: sorry, but the material i have edited out is far too libellous.

Comment

Working...
                      X