• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie role if anyone's interested?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    How is 25K going to get you a long way??
    rant rant rant
    The reason you're struggling to make sense of this is because you're determined to examine the situation from a London point of view.

Like you, I'd find it difficult to justify working in London for 25k unless I was desperate and had no other options. You're bound to be on a loser if you take a job that leaves you worse off on any given month than the previous month.

However, give me this kind of money in Leeds and I'd still just about be able to pay my mortgage and bills, run a slightly older car, go for a few beers once a week and holiday once a year.

I don't know how to say this without sounding patronising, but IT salaries in the North, like salaries in many other market sectors and regions, are dictated by the free market. People work for this kind of money in Leeds because the alternatives either have a high barrier to entry, sound too much like hard work, or simply pay less.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
      sorry...missed the bit where you were offered it.

sympathise though. got 30K 5 yrs ago for fairly tame data analyst role in London.
      same sort of thing now seems to be paying less and I've got 5 yrs more experience.

To the poster who got 38K out of uni....doing what? Surely you're not so arrogant as to believe that's even close to the norm?
      Grad program at bank - It was 35K a year plus 3K signing on bonus

We also got a 20% bonus at year end (pro rata) and got to do four months in New York on a training trip

Fast forward four years and I m contracting - Got stuck at th 65K mark as perm so contracting was the sensible way forward

Edit: On the bad side I did do four years at university and ended up borrowing 25K in student loans
      Last edited by joey122; 12 December 2009, 19:02.

Comment

We also got a 20% bonus at year end (pro rata) and got to do four months in New York on a training trip

Fast forward four years and I m contracting - Got stuck at th 65K mark as perm so contracting was the sensible way forward

Edit: On the bad side I did do four years at university and ended up borrowing 25K in student loans
        Crikey...wish I'd done better in my A-levels
        Milk round at IBM 9 yrs ago was £21,400 I think.
        I turned down the other offer at Fidessa, probably a dumb move as IBM was tosh.
        65K perm's jolly nice providing you don't have to break your balls for it.
        Wish I could recapture the last few cracking years of contract rates now (duff roles mind!)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          The poster of this thread who first posted the job can take the job and shove it - i'd rather go on the dole.
          ???

I'm not sure why you're so aggressive.

I was asked to help a friend fill this role - I wondered if anyone wanted a permie role to tide them over in these difficult times.

Someone who lives locally, young family and doesn't want to travel too far on a contract might think it's a good deal????

I personally don't know if it's a good rate or not - outside my Service Mgt field of expertise.

Thank you for your interest.

Comment

I am aggressive because....

government rob us of our salaries
            recession
            been to uni for 4 years, top a levels, being offered less than what i need to survive after 5 years experience
            id be better off on the dole
            you post that advert
            and the list goes on...

Comment

recession
              been to uni for 4 years, top a levels, being offered less than what i need to survive after 5 years experience
              you post that advert
              and the list goes on...
              Ever thought of re-skilling? ...And moving?

Not being sarcastic, but that's what I had to do. For people with the right skills, there does seem to be a lot around in London at the moment. Might be worth it for a short while for you? Was for me when I left Manchester Uni. Mind you, that short while turned out to be the last 22 years.

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

recession
                you post that advert
                and the list goes on...

Don't play the victim! - this is a contractor site, not a public sector forum. If you want a higher paid role - Go out and get it, rather than wait for agencies to ring!

Comment

How is 25K going to get you a long way??

If you are living with mum and dad??

A bus driver earns 30K and a tube driver just under 40K.

After tax you re left with 18K - Thats £1500 a month to live drive eat and have a holiday.

Just not possible
                  Lol at the troll. Bus driver on £30K? 'impossible' to live on £25-30k a year, which is above the average national salary?

£25k is a bit low but £30k certainly isn't up North for a reasonable developer.

Please try to make your posts at least slightly plausible.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Lol at the troll. Bus driver on £30K?
                    Might be possible. Even the female bus drivers are on £500 a week

Comment

Had grad interviews with Credit Suisse and JPM back in '97. The going rate then was £25k straight out of Uni.

Needless to say I ended up at IBM on considerably less!

Comment

Working...
                      X