• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Percentage Take Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percentage Take Home

does anyone know approx what the average percentage take home of a limited company v an umbrella is...

i know its a pie in the sky question.....but surely there is some average or statistical median on it ?

much appreciated
    A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying that was fcuking class

Originally posted by Mike Hunt View Post
    does anyone know approx what the average percentage take home of a limited company v an umbrella is...

i know its a pie in the sky question.....but surely there is some average or statistical median on it ?

much appreciated
    Some anecdotal evidence:

65% and 55%.

Other than that, it really does depend on your expenses and other bits and bobs.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Don't forget to factor in potential additional tax for anything over the 40% threshold. This will be accounted for at the end of the year and not appear in your 'take home' pay.

With this factored in I'd agree I used to average 65%.

I'm currently achieving 85% (totally legally) but am not now based or working in the UK.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Some anecdotal evidence:

65% and 55%.

Other than that, it really does depend on your expenses and other bits and bobs.

Comment

That's 65% after all the expenses you claim?

So what would be the actual proportion of your income that you pay in tax?

Comment

Never used to calculate that, just take home (inc expenses) as a percentage of gross.

Comment

You might find this a useful read...

<snip>

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Rule of thumb I recall reading somewhere on this site a go by is 65-70% for a limited company, 75% if you have a good accountant without taking the pi55.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Rule of thumb I recall reading somewhere on this site a go by is 65-70% for a limited company, 75% if you have a good accountant without taking the pi55.
                Whats a good accountant got to do with take home percentage?

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk View Post
                  Whats a good accountant got to do with take home percentage?
                  They can provide quality, proactive tax advice. Most contractor accountants don't do this, regardless of what they say...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    They can provide quality, proactive tax advice. Most contractor accountants don't do this, regardless of what they say...
                    Totally WHS.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X