• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you are not getting interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Thanks DA, managed to get sorted. I'll drop a copy across anyway but obviously missing out my latest role.

I find it hard to believe that so many people have fallen for your 'CV farming' exercise. Good luck in prising some guys out of their roles and replacing them with offshore resource!
    I've got a job for you in India MF
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Thanks DA, managed to get sorted. I'll drop a copy across anyway but obviously missing out my latest role.

I find it hard to believe that so many people have fallen for your 'CV farming' exercise.
      I intend on reporting back what happens.

I have no problem giving him a copy of my CV.

He isn't going to get any leads from it. If any of the 10 clients on my CV were recruiting, I'd be working right now. 6 of them have closed down completely (either the specific site or the whole company) and one of them no longer has a development team at the location I worked at, which only leaves three. Of those three, one is only just avoiding drowning, one has been through three mergers since I worked there so it has a completely different name and the other one, having been bitten by UK agents in the past, is impossible to get into without the support of a local agency.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        I intend on reporting back what happens.

I have no problem giving him a copy of my CV.

He isn't going to get any leads from it. If any of the 10 clients on my CV were recruiting, I'd be working right now. 6 of them have closed down completely (either the specific site or the whole company)

tim
        Adams, Woolworths, Officers Club, Wine Rack, MFI, Discount Shoes?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I am not getting any interviews or jobs because I am not applying for any but will PM you anyway as you may be able to tell me where I'm going wrong.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

very good.

Comment

Ferranti, Ionica, Marconi, Siemens Mobile, and lots of smaller companies that most won't have heard of.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by IBM Agent View Post
                what is to say you're reliable, can do what you say you can do, are honest, have integrity etc.
                Unfortunately there is VAST precedent of agents who have none of these values, who then go and pester our references and give them the hard sell.

Which means I end up without any referees because they are too cheesed off with all the cold calling. I only have a few referees, there are hundreds of thousands of agents. Also those looking for work might apply for 20 jobs to get one, can the referee really be expected to answer 20 sets of references just to get one role?

I think the agencies need a way to fix this. And it should certainly involve me receiving a signed non-exploitation agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post
                  Unfortunately there is VAST precedent of agents who have none of these values, who then go and pester our references and give them the hard sell.

Which means I end up without any referees because they are too cheesed off with all the cold calling. I only have a few referees, there are hundreds of thousands of agents. Also those looking for work might apply for 20 jobs to get one, can the referee really be expected to answer 20 sets of references just to get one role?

I think the agencies need a way to fix this. And it should certainly involve me receiving a signed non-exploitation agreement.
                  Agreed. Bad enough that they spam our referees, then to condemn us for being hesitant about providing them is ludicrous.

As for not knowing people, you could always start with a working presumption of normality. There are exceptions on both sides, but contractors are normally OK, agents are normally turds.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    any part of the business that does not involve me having to listen to tw*ts who speel out "we've got a PSL"
                    Can't blame you there. PSLs are evil. My current client has a PSL, for any given department it is a list of exactly ONE agency. Strangely, this does not seem to get good contractors supplied efficiently. I'd rather say that the sole supplier holds off on providing contractors for weeks, until the client will accept less for more money, and the contractor will accept a MacRate. PM complains that it's very difficult to get contractors ..... yeah, it's well-known that the bench is empty these days.
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                      Can't blame you there. PSLs are evil. My current client has a PSL, for any given department it is a list of exactly ONE agency. Strangely, this does not seem to get good contractors supplied efficiently. I'd rather say that the sole supplier holds off on providing contractors for weeks, until the client will accept less for more money, and the contractor will accept a MacRate. PM complains that it's very difficult to get contractors ..... yeah, it's well-known that the bench is empty these days.
                      Seems the market is getting skewed by comical requirements, PSL's and poor quality agents. Net result being the work if offshored/onshored for the same rate they could pay a decent contractor, poor systems/support for the client, no work for the contractor, and a loss of income for the agent.

Comment

Working...
                      X