• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glad thats done, now for the waiting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    WWikir ManS

Work load is down, dev is low, mainly support but the volumne of that is very small. Sounds great x£100 per day to surf, chat, read etc.... but I am sooooooooo boooorrrrreeeeeddddd!!! YAWN!!!
    I had the same situation a few years back, I too was with a single client for 3 years and I too was on good money and had very little to do until the department was outsourced and I was given the boot.

You've got to be mighty confident of getting continual work in this climate to throw a cushy number away, from my experience the last couple of years have been an absolute bitch with contracts being cancelled, clients going bust, permy redundancies forcing contractors out the door first etc etc.

Just doing my books now, my income from 08-09 was down 40% from 07-08 and last year was much worse, down 60% from 07-08.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

1. Its a change, and therefore some work to do.
      2. 33% more £ than I am on now.
      3. Possibility to learn Java later.

I am weighing the pros and cons carefully.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

You've got to be mighty confident of getting continual work in this climate to throw a cushy number away, from my experience the last couple of years have been an absolute bitch with contracts being cancelled, clients going bust, permy redundancies forcing contractors out the door first etc etc.
        Not just a confidence thing but a risk thing. I'm probably going to inform my client soon that I wish to leave when the current contract ends, even though it is a decent paying contract but still 25%+ down on my last rate. Only been with client co for over a year but I need a new challenge. The project is winding down and the work is becoming bitty and boring. I have other projects I'm working on anyway and am willing to lose this income and take the risk of not having a full time contract for a while, just so I can make myself available to other clients. I may decide just to keep quiet and quietly work on other stuff to keep me occupied but that would not be fair to client. I may discuss it with them and possibly allow them to use me part time if they still require my services once current contract ends, but I don't want to commit full time..
        As a contractor I think it is wrong to just stay in a contract because it is easier to continue with client, that's permie thinking . Get out there and broaden the skills on new different projects.
        Staying in a contract that has become boring and/or unchallenging just for the sake of an income can mean problems later on (skills not up to date for example)
        If on the bench I know the thinking may be a little different but you're just unlucky. THings will improve
        Last edited by SuperZ; 24 March 2010, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Not just a confidence thing but a risk thing. I'm probably going to inform my client soon that I wish to leave when the current contract ends, even though it is a decent paying contract but still 25%+ down on my last rate. Only been with client co for over a year but I need a new challenge. The project is winding down and the work is becoming bitty and boring. I have other projects I'm working on anyway and am willing to lose this income and take the risk of not having a full time contract for a while, just so I can make myself available to other clients. I may decide just to keep quiet and quietly work on other stuff to keep me occupied but that would not be fair to client. I may discuss it with them and possibly allow them to use me part time if they still require my services once current contract ends, but I don't want to commit full time..
          As a contractor I think it is wrong to just stay in a contract because it is easier to continue with client, that's permie thinking . Get out there and broaden the skills on new different projects.
          If on the bench I know the thinking may be a little different but you're just unlucky. THings will improve
          That's what I thought a few months ago, I was getting lots of calls about new work and people asking when and if I was available.
          Jacked in the gig even though they offered a hefty renewal, and since then there has been nowt.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            That's what I thought a few months ago, I was getting lots of calls about new work and people asking when and if I was available.
            Jacked in the gig even though they offered a hefty renewal, and since then there has been nowt.
            I fell for that last summer - hated the project, wanted a break, and was hitting the 24 month rule (albeit different clients).

Turned down a 4 month extension on £525 a day because I wouldn't have been able to claim the travel expenses, and earned £0 in the 6 1/2 months it took to find a new project.

Not the smartest business decision I have ever made, it must be said - but had a lovely time with the family!
            If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Accepted a 15% cut in rate 18 months ago.

85% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Not always.

I'd rather have 100% of nothing, than 85% of bad AIDS. Or even 100% of good AIDS*

*'Brass Eye' reference

Comment

After reschedule from being ill last week, had 2nd interview this morning, made up of 3 mini interviews of 45 mins each.

Wasn't even offered water, and I spoke plenty, dry come the end.

Have been told they were "overwhelmingly positive" and that they need me to do a couple more telephone intvws with some people in the US.

Longer process than I thought.

Comment

If you work it out, a 10% rate cut over a 3 or 6 month contract might only be the same as one week's lost wages.... if you think it'll take more than a week to find a new gig.. beware of making posturing mistakes.
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

And that is relevant to this thread how? No posturing here.

Comment

Working...
                      X