• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone

In Jan 2017 both Defense Business Services National Security Vetting & Foreign and Commonwealth Services National Security Vetting merged together as the UKSV under MoD supervision.

My questions arises due to a odd issue sometimes I come across with agencies asking specifically asking for MoD SC

Are SCs still tied to the sponsor with the different risk assessments of their sponsor as mentioned here? (e.g. Been SC cleared under UKSV still won't confer status of MoD SC even if it is done by a branch under the ministry of defense)

Or...

Has standardization occurred with the merger meaning only question of MoD SC goes back before Jan 2017 when DBSNS did clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
      Hi everyone

In Jan 2017 both Defense Business Services National Security Vetting & Foreign and Commonwealth Services National Security Vetting merged together as the UKSV under MoD supervision.

My questions arises due to a odd issue sometimes I come across with agencies asking specifically asking for MoD SC

Are SCs still tied to the sponsor with the different risk assessments of their sponsor as mentioned here? (e.g. Been SC cleared under UKSV still won't confer status of MoD SC even if it is done by a branch under the ministry of defense)

Or...

Has standardization occurred with the merger meaning only question of MoD SC goes back before Jan 2017 when DBSNS did clearance?
      The mistake people make (and one which has been reiterated many times in this thread) is that clearance is a "badge" associated with a given individual. It isn't.

Clearance goes with the role, not the person, so the risk assessment will be specific to that role. Hence there is no guarantee that any existing clearance will be valid for a new role. Obviously it helps having clearance already, but re-vetting will be necessary in a lot of cases.

Merging of the agencies is more about record keeping and common processes, rather than the clearance requirements themselves.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi all,

Need some advice on my current situation.

I'm employed by a company that carries out MOD contracts, and as such, need clearance through NSV. I'm currently in the application process, but am at risk of losing my job due to how long it is taking, and the fact they can't give me any work.

As it stands, I've been employed since May, with my SC application having been in progress since April. It's currently standing at 130 days/18 weeks, and from what I can make out, has been sat with the NSV VMA/Medical Dept for weeks/months on end, with no movement in the slightest.

My sponsor has put in a business case, but obviously there still isn't any guarantee on quick enough movement.

Anyone got advice on what I can potentially do?

Comment

You might want to speak to an employment lawyer. I would be surprised if an employer sacks you because of a requirement they demand. If they want it they have to wait. They can't just sack you because its inconvenient to them.

They should be well aware it can take this long if they do enough of them.

I get your options ready in the background should your employer attempt to try get rid of you...

All this assumes you aren't in a trial period or something of course.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You might want to speak to an employment lawyer. I would be surprised if an employer sacks you because of a requirement they demand. If they want it they have to wait. They can't just sack you because its inconvenient to them.

They should be well aware it can take this long if they do enough of them.

I get your options ready in the background should your employer attempt to try get rid of you...

All this assumes you aren't in a trial period or something of course.
            My plan on that front is to speak to a union rep to see what they suggest. I am, in the mean time, applying for other jobs etc to pre-empt the possibility of it happening. Unfortunately I'm still in a probation period, which the SC requirement date falls within, so I don't think that I really have a leg to stand on.

At the moment I'm just ringing them everyday and hoping for the best. I know everythings done other than one final check, which seems to be two months without any movement so far

Comment

Watchdog sounds alarm on security vetting failings

Has anyone got the latest waiting times on CTC vetting? I have been asked to under go it for a gig but a little concerned given the article above that I could have a rerun of the time it took my SC to go through (6 months).

Comment

NPPV 3 questions about children

I have been instructed by my company i need to complete this form.
                does adding information about my adult children (31,35 & 36)
                name, date of birth, current address etc go against the data protection act if they have not given their consent?

Comment

Originally posted by Dovecottage View Post
                  name, date of birth, current address etc go against the data protection act if they have not given their consent?
                  If you want the NPPV3, then you need to complete the details. It is a positive vetting system, so it will be checked.

If it is being done by Warwickshire (who do it on behalf of all all Police Services, other than the Met), you can expect a wait of at least 8-10 months before it comes through).
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    If you want the NPPV3, then you need to complete the details. It is a positive vetting system, so it will be checked.

If it is being done by Warwickshire (who do it on behalf of all all Police Services, other than the Met), you can expect a wait of at least 8-10 months before it comes through).
                    Why? When I worked for sussex it was about 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Dovecottage View Post
                      Also be aware if your immediate family have criminal convictions and do not lie on the forms about it, I went a slightly different route under the ACPO vetting but the standards are still strict across the board for police vetting.

Comment

Working...
                      X