• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P4d View Post
    Apologies as cant seem to find the answer to this anywhere else.

An SC clearance role has come up which I want to apply for.

I had a caution as a teen about 20 + years ago.

I did a subject access request with ACRO which has come back as no trace.

And the same with the local force and the still hold custody records.

Do they check local police records? I will declare the caution even though it's been deleted from ACRO
    Yes they do.
    Yes you should declare it.
    The answer is in this forum. Repeatedly..... Always be honest or else....
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Yes they do.
      Yes you should declare it.
      The answer is in this forum. Repeatedly..... Always be honest or else....

My question isnt about dishonesty its about whether they search local police records which I dont believe is the case .

There is nothing on ACRO as it's been deleted however a subject access request with the local force where I lived at the time still holds custody records.

As I've said I will declare it nonetheless but I am looking for clarification on this issue

Comment

My question isnt about dishonesty its about whether they search local police records which I dont believe is the case .

There is nothing on ACRO as it's been deleted however a subject access request with the local force where I lived at the time still holds custody records.

As I've said I will declare it nonetheless but I am looking for clarification on this issue
        Do you have any idea how comprehensive the PNC really is...? (Hint: it's not a single system.)

Secondly, even if we knew (and I certainly don't), we wouldn't say anything, because clearance is not something we want people to understand too deeply in case they try and game the system.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          I'm unaware of any interview for an SC. It's form filling and portal entry. Plus the very important matter of forking over the cost.
          Yes, NSV MOD can request interviews for SC clearance.

Comment

Which I answered but you don’t believe. That’s fine. Good luck.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

UKSV can be very intrusive for SC.

They've only ever telephone interviewed me once but I've had them ask for bank statements, monthly reports from a line manager and they've requested full access to my primary care NHS notes on four separate occasions since 2005. I've not got a police record but I'm sure they'd be all over that too.

I think you can get away with dodgy things on your record provided that you're a low risk for being blackmailed.

Comment

questions please

Originally posted by AdamEld24 View Post
                In response to the statement at the top of this thread -

Q : I am not SC cleared and seen a great role but it says SC holding applications only please?
                It is illegal for the agent to discriminate in this way and it is highly likely he is not working in the best interests of the customer as he maybe passing over the best talent in preference for some chump with SC. Apply anyway and then report him. Address to follow, as I can't find it right now.

As a Managing Director of a Recruitment Agency that has placed a number of SC cleared candidates both contract and permanent I would like to point out that this statement is not true. If a role is a priority requirement that requires immediate and routine unsupervised access to assets protectively marked SECRET or above (SC) then an agent can advertise for candidates who currently hold valid SC Clearance. This has been verified by the Government.

If you would to know anything about SC clearances feel free to email me , I have extensive experience of dealing with security clearances / transfers. I have contacts within the DVA, DSU @ the FCO and have dealt with transfers to / from MOD, Home Office, EDS, HP, BT, Logica, Thales, Serco, Atlas, Capgemini and Steria.

please may I message privately about a question, thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by jool8910 View Post
                  please may I message privately about a question, thanks so much!
                  I’m afraid you’ll be waiting a while. That poster hasn’t logged into CUK for nine years...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But to answer the obvious question, the Cabinet Office themselves have said that less than 5% of roles meet those criteria, and are limited to obvious specialities, mainly sysadmins, network teams and DBMs.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hello all,
                      I’m doing SC at the moment, everything is good except one thing that I used to fail the screening check for a job at the bank 4 years ago. I made a stupid mistake when I declared my time at a company in my CV, I made it 6 months longer than it actually was so I didn’t have to explain about my employment gap. The screening exposed everything and I was terminated only 5 weeks after I started the job.

I will obviously be honest with SC this time. Do you think they’re gonna refuse me straight away because I used to lie before?

And in case I still have a chance to be cleared, should I mention the whole thing in the form or just declare my 5 week long employment there with the supervisor’s details and let them find out themselves?

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X