• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Christ on a bike. I've never seen anything like this. I'll try put it as simply as possible.

In the chain is you-->umbrella-->client. Bar doing the work for the client you have no contractual relationship with the client. The security vetting have absolutely no interest in the client. The client holds no records for you. You were a supplier that came and went, the client's staff don't give a flying monkies about you. If you can't get this I hate to think how you operate your LTD.
    Sorry you really don't understand the situation.
    The client DO hold records for me. I have worked for them before as a permy (for 10 years) and they went directly to me to organise this work. There was no agency involved. The clients staff most definitely do give a monkeys about me, they certainly know ALOT more about me than the umbrella.

(and btw - I don't operate a LTD. I never have done)

The security company want to know your employer so they can ask them for records about you, when you were employed, for how long, doing what etc to make sure what you tell them is the truth. How on earth can the client of the brolly do any of that?

There really seems to be some misunderstanding here. It is the client who can answer those questions. The only thing the brolly knows are the dates of employment. The brolly knows nothing about what I was doing.

Just to be clear - by "client" I mean the company I was doing the work for. I was sitting in their office, working on one of their projects, being managed directly by the business owner.

If you are employed by the brolly and the form wants you to put the details of the employer then for gods sake read the question and give them what they want. It's not hard.

I don't understand why you can't understand what you do. I'd suggest you work it out quick. We've got IR35 hitting us hard in April and knowing the fundamentals of your work is essential.

Just in case that's a bit complicated. If they want employer details...put the employer details. Not the clients, not the bloke next door, nothing.. just the employer details.
    I'm perfectly capable of understanding the fact that the umbrella was my legal employer. Its because they don't know anything else about me that has caused me to ask this question. Surely that makes sense.

(And IR35 won't affect me. I'm working as a permy now. I just need SC for a particular project, hence this question.)

Comment

*sigh*.. Put the umbrella down and let us move on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gusgorman View Post
        Sorry you really don't understand the situation.
        The client DO hold records for me. I have worked for them before as a permy (for 10 years) and they went directly to me to organise this work. There was no agency involved. The clients staff most definitely do give a monkeys about me, they certainly know ALOT more about me than the umbrella.

(and btw - I don't operate a LTD. I never have done)

There really seems to be some misunderstanding here. It is the client who can answer those questions. The only thing the brolly knows are the dates of employment. The brolly knows nothing about what I was doing.

Just to be clear - by "client" I mean the company I was doing the work for. I was sitting in their office, working on one of their projects, being managed directly by the business owner.

I'm perfectly capable of understanding the fact that the umbrella was my legal employer. Its because they don't know anything else about me that has caused me to ask this question. Surely that makes sense.

(And IR35 won't affect me. I'm working as a permy now. I just need SC for a particular project, hence this question.)
        Then put the client down as the employer.
        Whilst NLUK is perfectly correct, the vetting people don't know or care the differences. They just want a body to chase who can confirm you were there.
        It doesn't really matter as long as you don't lie.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Whilst NLUK is perfectly correct, the vetting people don't know or care the differences. They just want a body to chase who can confirm you were there.
          Great thanks - thats exactly the info I was trying to glean.

(I actually put the Umbrella down as the employer, with an extra note explaining exactly where and who I was working for, so they know everything).

Comment

Originally posted by gusgorman View Post
            Great thanks - thats exactly the info I was trying to glean.

(I actually put the Umbrella down as the employer, with an extra note explaining exactly where and who I was working for, so they know everything).
            You were working for the umbrella. What's the point of asking for advice when you won't listen?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              But the client isn't the employer so why would you do that on a security form?

Comment

But the client isn't the employer so why would you do that on a security form?
                I've done vetting a few times. They don't understand the nuances of employment.
                The last time I did it I provided a mix of agencies, client managers who left the client over 2 years ago, and HR departments.
                I got cleared.

So yes you're quite correct about who the employer is. But to the vetting people it's not relevant.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You were working for the umbrella. What's the point of asking for advice when you won't listen?
                  Have a good weekend mate.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Who was your legal employer? Put that company/those companies down on your form.
                    Pardon my ignorance. So if I am operating through PSC/LTD company, then it is my legal employer correct? Does it mean do we put down our own company name as employer?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                      Pardon my ignorance. So if I am operating through PSC/LTD company, then it is my legal employer correct? Does it mean do we put down our own company name as employer?
                      I have done in the past. The reason for asking is (a) to check your financial position and (b) to call your employer if they have any questions, which is unlikely to happen for basic SC. Also they may want to compare your tax returns with your stated employment record.

Certainly I've neve had any comeback.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X