• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No More Agencies IT Position Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No More Agencies IT Position Website

Hi,

I want to see the end of IT agencies - they lie, take huge cuts, send you to inappropriate interviews and have become thoroughly arrogant in today's market. I want to start a website advertising available IT positions directly to contractors without the middleman ogre that is the agency. Companies wishing to advertise positions will pay a one off fee and know that their payment for contractors would be substantially less over the contracting period. The website will be staffed by people who know IT so contractors can be confident in the service. The website should as simple to use as Jobserve and just as popular. We have seen services such as no-agency.com which to be honest was unacceptable - asking £100 to download a database of contacts was ridiculous. This website however can work. I want to restore confidence in IT contracting - the website is ready, minimal investment required but a shared vision. Let's share our knowledge and beat the agencies! Who's with me??

How original

Wow - that is very original, going up against Jobserve. Why would a client want to advertise on your site rather than Jobserve, Gis-a-job, PCG, Fish-4-Jobs, Planet Recruit, CWJobs, GoJobsite, etc etc etc.
    When you actually develop something that works and we can see, come back and show us.
    Its like me saying petrol is too expensive I am going to invent an engine that runs on water.

Comment

Re: How original

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> services such as no-agency.com which to be honest was unacceptable<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
      ??????????????????????

how so? i thought it was quite original and well done....

bit of a pointed post for a first post or are you just hiding under a new identity???? bit cowardly......

<stir stir>

go get 'em NoDash........

Comment

Yes - Original

Hmmm Jobserve, Gis-a-job, PCG, Fish-4-Jobs, Planet Recruit, CWJobs, GoJobsite - What have they in common? Advertisements from AGENCIES! The planned website advertises directly from employers! That is the difference - a major difference and IT contractors or permanent staff do not have to pay to browse available jobs. Employers speak directly to staff who know that Windows 2000 is not a new double glazing company! More importantly the website staff know IT from Cisco to Solaris, from networking to Flash. Is this so impossible? NO - it isn't. As for Conor, is a website for the prospective contractor that charges £100 for a directory of employers without an actual postion specified viable?? NO it can't be - did you fork out £100 for it? Be honest. This my first posting, I have never posted before under any identity and find that claim COWARDLY! I seek people who can contribute in time more than money as much as I can and get equal reward as anyone else! I offer an alternative to agencies that would benefit all IT staff - please only interested parties respond!

Comment

Re: Yes - Original

To be honest it’s not us you need to convince. If the “employers” are paying, it’s them you need to sell yourself to. I don’t think your agencies are lying ogres approach will go down too well though.

If you come up with a site with loads of people offering contracts which we can view for free, you won’t hear too many complaints from contractors.

Comment

Yeah Yeah

So you have an idea, no doubt written on the back of a fag packet and you need people who can develop it for you for free?
            Jobserve et al do allow clients to advertise directly, you really should research your market.
            Are you offering an advertising service or an agency? If an advertising service, why would the people running it need to know IT? Surely they should know about advertising!!
            I don't understand the point about contractors having to pay to browse jobs, where is that done now?
            The Directory was aimed at contractors who wanted to market their company to decision makers, they have a choice of directories - Yellow Pages etc (only adresses & tel no's), Computer Users Handbook (£1000+) or No-Agency.com (was £100).
            Apart from spouting on about how bad agencies are and how you are going to have a comapny run by contractors for contractors (nice one, but has been used before) try acrually developing a site, or even a viable business model and then market it.
            As someone who has launched two new models for contractors to find direct work I will take my hat off to you if you succeed, but believe me in todays market you will find it impossible to make a profit.
            If you would like to purchase a Directory of companies and contacts who may want to advertise on your new site go to www.no-agency.com - special price for you £1500

Comment

Yes - Feasible

Actually, I could not find one position advertised directly by the client on Jobserve. I understand that they could but in practice they do not. Jobserve is the most frequented website for IT job seekers - few can argue that. Agencies are not wonderful institiutions and contractors agree! Advertisers should understand clients' requirements and match suitable candidates, it is plain silly to say otherwise. If the idea appears simple it's because it is and has been thought out reasonably and rationally and it can work. There is no need for a convoluted business model, the steps are simple - establish a site and convince employers that this resource is more effective in terms of cost and finding more appropriate candidates than agencies offer. Is that so impossible? Ok - so you got a list of contacts, tried to sell them and it didn't work out; it didn't need any market research to work out that it could not succeed. As for £1,500 for the website - well, that's not going to happen is it? A derivation of the name can be bought for £20. Sales may not be your strong point but you can contribute to this idea as much as everyone else offering the time and resources that you have available - everyone will have a share equal to their contribution including me. Establishing the site is the key - it will take time maybe 6 months but it is not unreasonable to envisage a website more popular than Jobserve. So don't be disheartened and instead contribute and be positive.

Comment

Re: Yes - Feasible

Agencies Lie - you're NEW HERE AREN'T YOU?

Comment

Re: Yes - Feasible

Errr. Those steps don't sound simple to me. Especially the "convince employers..." bit.

How would you stop agents using your site to find jobs to fill?

Comment

Agencies Lie

What do you call advertising for a position with a high level qualification and an excellent salary that does not exist just to get a response from people with that qualification so they can have them on the agency's books?
                    What do you call an agency informing the contractor they are getting a 20% cut from the contractor's rate when the client tells you it is 33%?
                    What do you call agencies that send candidates for interviews for positions that are different than advertised?

Quite simply you call these lies! I have experienced all of these and I bet other contractors have too. You may well work for an agency but the fact remains agencies do not serve the client and contractor well, they are only interested in themselves and how much they make! I believe a resource should exist that benefits client and contractor without the use of agencies.

Comment

Working...
                    X