• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing Contacts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing Contacts

I would be interested to know what peoples views are on actively gaining and managing contacts/leads.

Personally I would like to avoid pimps as much as possible, although I know this will not be possible forever.

I am counting down the days until I begin contracting. As part of my contactor setup, I have been investigating/experimenting the best way to develop contacts via a means of networking and developing a crude CRM.

I will be investing a non-trivial amount of time into developing a comprehensive network, via a mixture of means, such as social media contacts (twitter/linkedin) etc.... but also actively cold calling and emailing a number of companies and recording responses. I want to treat this more as a business in the way I market myself rather than just a bod trying to get a gig.

So, what do people here tend to do? Do you actively pursue and grow your network of contacts or just plod along contract to contract via a pimp and record contacts as and when?

Look up cw jobs, send cv in, have a chat over the phone with client, bingo, new contract.

The more I've worked the more contacts I've picked up, and thus been offered direct contracts through recomendations or people I know being the decision makers, and vise versa.

Get out there and work first. You'll build a network naturally. Forget all this smoozing nonsence.

Comment

WHS, I am way too lazy to be cold calling etc (ask agents how much fun that is), the chances of a pay-off are too remote. I use agents, usually on PSL's so I can be reasonably assured of the cream-off level.
      I have recognised I have been poor at networking in the past and have seen some real 'operators' get work and last longer due to ability in this area. I am building contacts through linkedin and this includes agents in the right market. This feels less forced than contacting people out of the blue when available, an updated page will be bounced round your list, it's worth a try !
      So, I would say to look at the contacts you already have and nurture them and try to extend this list everywhere you go and always be looking for projects/opportunities where you are working that you can get involved in, some people have the knack of jumping ship internally onto the next budget rich project to keep the meter running.
      Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        WHS, I am way too lazy to be cold calling etc (ask agents how much fun that is), the chances of a pay-off are too remote. I use agents, usually on PSL's so I can be reasonably assured of the cream-off level.
        I have recognised I have been poor at networking in the past and have seen some real 'operators' get work and last longer due to ability in this area. I am building contacts through linkedin and this includes agents in the right market. This feels less forced than contacting people out of the blue when available, an updated page will be bounced round your list, it's worth a try !
        So, I would say to look at the contacts you already have and nurture them and try to extend this list everywhere you go and always be looking for projects/opportunities where you are working that you can get involved in, some people have the knack of jumping ship internally onto the next budget rich project to keep the meter running.
        Good luck.
        WHS

Concentrate on what you're good at and let someone else take the strain. All that time spent working on the network could be spent making yourself even more technically competant.
        Unless you maintain that network on a regular basis, you'll find yourself back to square 1 after a 6 month gig.

Having said that, do not not do it, instead just let it happen naturally rather than forcing it.
        Last edited by Spacecadet; 31 March 2010, 10:55.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          WHS

Concentrate on what you're good at and let someone else take the strain. All that time spent working on the network could be spent making yourself even more technically competant.
          Unless you maintain that network on a regular basis, you'll find yourself back to square 1 after a 6 month gig.

Having said that, do not not do it, instead just let it happen naturally rather than forcing it.
          WHS

Let the agents do what they get paid for, if they are PSL then they can't be so bad surely, do what you do not what they do.

I would rather work overtime than wallpaper the lounge, get a decorator to decorate.

They are the ones with the permanently up to date rolladex not you, well, I def don't.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Excellent - that all sounds like sound advice.

I think with this collective advice I will rein in my time on this and concentrate on other things that will put me in a better position come D-Day.

Thanks, chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by DotNetDeveloper View Post
              Excellent - that all sounds like sound advice.
              Best way to build up contacts is by doing good work - repeat work is always very satisfying.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
              X