• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to Germany. Who to inform, P85?, NHS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themeditator View Post
    Hello IT Contractors,

I shall be moving to Germany next month and spending 14 months on a contract.

I was reading up and apparently I need to fill out a P85 form and let the NHS know that I shall be moving etc?

Even though I shall still be maintaining a home here in the UK is there any requirement from me to do?

Does anyone have any first hand experience of who can advise how they went about it?

Thanks in Advance

M
    Will you be returning to the UK for breaks before the 14 months is up? It sounds more like you are working away from home rather than emigrating for good. I wouldn't have thought that you would be required to de-register from the NHS, but would advise that you contact your surgery and ask them.

You may want to consider making voluntary national insurance contributions so that your state pension contributions don't fall into arrears.

You need to complete a P85 when you leave and a P86 when you return.

Enjoy your time abroad.

Comment

Do Nothing

If you maintain a home in the UK, you are a UK resident, and are not legally required to do anything. You are a UK resident provided you return once in a while - the consulate should be able to give you full details of which website to check. I have found consulates to be poor providers of info, regularly getting things wrong, so make sure you get a URI or something in writing.

In Germany, regardless of what anyone tells you, you DO NOT have to register with the German state, nor tell them your religion (which they use for tax purposes). Many German states will try to have you register, but this is illegal under EU law - test cases were pending, last I heard, in Cologne via EASA.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        I have platinum worldwide health cover with all the xtreme sports stuff etc.
        Who's that with, if you don't mind me asking ?

Boo

Comment

anyone staying over 1/2 yr on Germany soil (arrival/dept days are included) in a 12 month period is classed as resident in germany and therefore is tax resident and german tax officials make HMRC look like fluffy bunnies, be warned or if not expect a 7am tap at your door and anything document/pc like to be confiscated when they find you.

Aye Chef - may as well turn myself in now - oops I forgot to register with the local Stasi Office .

Comment

There are situations whereby you can be deemed to be tax resident in Germany from day 1, indeed there can be some advantages to be gained from this. I cant comment upon the NHS requirements but am happy to give you some free advice on mitigating your tax liabilities if you like? PM me if you would like to chat.

Comment

Hallo an alle in Deutschland.

Ja, Ja, die Deutsche Steuerbehoerde ist sehr scharf!

Hi to all in Germany.

Yes, the German tax Office is a Vampire walking the streets during the day and the UK Tax office does compare to them like fluffy bunnies. I like that comparison and it is soooo true.

Comment

Bear in mind there are a lot of companies offering so called "split income" schemes where some of your income is paid overseas to avoid German tax. Those are best avoided. I know a number of people who plumped for them who have subsequently had the police turn up at the client site or their home and confiscate things.

One recent acquaintance I've met in the pub a few times was subject to this purely because he was working through his own UK ltd and not declaring the dividends here for a period when he first arrived. So, you might get away with it for a bit, but they might catch up with you. It seems to be quite a lot of stress when they do.

In Germany, regardless of what anyone tells you, you DO NOT have to register with the German state, nor tell them your religion (which they use for tax purposes). Many German states will try to have you register, but this is illegal under EU law - test cases were pending, last I heard, in Cologne via EASA.
                My bank wanted to see my residence registration when I opened my account. I also suspect that if you're stopped by the police for any reason and not registered you will have a job arguing your case with them. The reason they want to know your religion is because they want to know whether you should pay "church tax". I said I didn't have one, and I don't pay church tax. You can apply to restrict disclosure of the information you provide as well.

muenchen.de - Change of residency has the forms for Munich, I suspect other places have them too.

Regarding the various health and social insurances, if you are going to end up tax resident you will need health insurance from day one. It's not that expensive, I pay about €300 a month for a good one. There are other social insurances (pension, unemployment etc) that freelancers are exempt from. When you arrive, you apply for a 3 year exemption, and then after that you are assessed to determine if you are still exempt. I think the rule is that no more than 5/6ths of income can come from a single client although it might be more complex than that.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I think the rule is that no more than 5/6ths of income can come from a single client although it might be more complex than that.
                  How are you supposed to get round this legally if you set up as a Freiberufler and land a 12-month (or longer) full time contract in Germany?
                  Last edited by vandiss; 23 August 2011, 14:41.

Comment

You must inform Sasguru in General now he will want to slag you off.

Comment

Originally posted by vandiss View Post
                      How are you supposed to get round this legally if you set up as a Freiberufler and land a 12-month (or longer) full time contract in Germany?
                      Well I'm just coming up to 3 years on the current one, previous was a year and the one before was 2 years and the Finanzamt know exactly what I do and are happy with it.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X