• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dark Side beckons....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dark Side beckons....

I had a phone interview and subsequently a face to face for a permie role recently...

I thought I'd done really badly in the face to face after going blank at one point on something I knew well. Anyway I wasn't it expecting to hear back, so blow me when I got a call today offering me the gig.

There's cack all contract stuff out there at the moment but the thought of going back permie (*cough*, *spit*) gives me the shivers.

I suppose the sensible thing is to take it until the contract market improves.. it is fairly local (30 min commute). On the downside I've checked out how much Tax/NI I'll be paying

Currently I'm stalling saying I want to think about it - did promise I'd get back to them by close of play today though.
    Last edited by Dark Black; 20 April 2010, 15:04. Reason: speelinks
    Do what thou wilt

If you get the contract in your hand and you haven't got a contract for anything else, sign it and step over to the dark side.

(I speak from experience - a contract in your hand is everything, anything else is smoke and mirrors... )
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Take it.

Milk it for everything you can get - Paid holiday, training, bank holidays etc.

When the market picks up again you can jump ship and put it down as a long term contract on the CV if needs be.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Take it.

Milk it for everything you can get - Paid holiday, training, bank holidays etc.

When the market picks up again you can jump ship and put it down as a long term contract on the CV if needs be.
        Totally WHS. Look at the benefits not the downsides. If a stint there gives you new qualifications and skills that can add 20 quid a day to your rate for the next 10 years you will be in a better position than I am if I can't progress so count it as a very valuable investment.

If it feeds the coffers when they would be heading in the other direction while on the bench you can wake up happier as well.

Good luck!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a permie offer on the table at the mo. Even went out for lunch last night with my 'new boss' (whos basically my old boss)

Package isnt coming up to the 90k with bonus I was offered though

So said, I need to do some more numbers before deciding. Have until tomorrow!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

When I took the permie shilling in 2000, I just looked upon it as a low-paid contract. It's so much fun being a permie with a contractor mindset. You get to behave like you always wanted to as a contractor, but wanted your contract renewed.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Looks like i'm also in the offing for some perminant work. Down to the last 2 so fingers crossed. Also the perm rate is very close to what I'm getting now so oh yeah.

I'll go back into contract work when i'm older and wiser when i can get away with charging £500 per day. Save up some cash, and retire when I'm 50, booya!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                When I took the permie shilling in 2000, I just looked upon it as a low-paid contract. It's so much fun being a permie with a contractor mindset. You get to behave like you always wanted to as a contractor, but wanted your contract renewed.
                Except for the part when you have to sit next to the most annoying indian in the world that insists on trying to make small talk to me ALL day regardless of how rude I act. Luckily the contract will end before I rip his ******* head off.

Don't have that get out clause in permie
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Except for the part when you have to sit next to the most annoying indian in the world that insists on trying to make small talk to me ALL day regardless of how rude I act. Luckily the contract will end before I rip his ******* head off.

Don't have that get out clause in permie
                  Nope, you would just have to rip his ******* head off and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
                    Looks like i'm also in the offing for some perminant work. Down to the last 2 so fingers crossed.
                    As long as you don't have to spell permanent you should be ok.
                    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X