• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Pre-Interview Chat"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pre-Interview Chat"

I have an interview arranged next week for a PM role.

The Agent called again today and said the client now wants a "pre-interview chat" over the phone a couple of days in advance of the face to face interview.

I could understand it if they had booked phone interviews first for screening puroses, then only progressed to booking face-to-face interviews if you seemed a good fit after that.

But to pre-arrange the face to face interviews, and then spring a "pre interview chat" seems a bit odd.

Should I be suspicious? I've never encountered this before. Any ideas what's going on? As I say, it just seems a bit odd for some reason.

Ta!

.......er what's odd about it?
    I actually ask agents to set them up if they can, helps find out about the role and get a feel if it's worth going to interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
      I actually ask agents to set them up if they can, helps find out about the role and get a feel if it's worth going to interview.
      +1.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You can use these meetings to your advantage to dig out information an agent might know about this project, past projects, or people placed with that company. Even if it will cost you a day's billing to attend, you already have the client interview set up so I'd recommend you go with a list of useful information you'd like - anything that might tip the scales in your favour when you meet the client is worth pursuing. Think of it as an investment.
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
          You can use these meetings to your advantage to dig out information an agent might know about this project, past projects, or people placed with that company. Even if it will cost you a day's billing to attend, you already have the client interview set up so I'd recommend you go with a list of useful information you'd like - anything that might tip the scales in your favour when you meet the client is worth pursuing. Think of it as an investment.
          Have you been drinking? This has no relevance to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by dave68 View Post
            I have an interview arranged next week for a PM role.

The Agent called again today and said the client now wants a "pre-interview chat" over the phone a couple of days in advance of the face to face interview.

I could understand it if they had booked phone interviews first for screening puroses, then only progressed to booking face-to-face interviews if you seemed a good fit after that.

But to pre-arrange the face to face interviews, and then spring a "pre interview chat" seems a bit odd.

Should I be suspicious? I've never encountered this before. Any ideas what's going on? As I say, it just seems a bit odd for some reason.

Ta!
            Sounds like 1st interview is going to be a telephone interview, second face to face. This is pretty common practise.

Comment

Originally posted by dave68 View Post
              it just seems a bit odd for some reason
              You get all sorts. Just roll with it...
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Nothing odd. There is no Official British Standard Method of Hiring Contractors, nor should there be, and clients often just aren't that organised. Probably this has happened:

PM: "Gosh there are lots of contractors out there that look worth interviewing. I've got 10 booked for next week!"
                PM's mate: "Why don't you phone-interview them first then?"
                PM: "Good idea."

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  The odd thing is the order in which it was done, i.e. first set up a face to face meeting with no mention of a prior phone interview, then a few days later arrange a hitherto unmentioned phone 'chat' prior to the face to face. Seemed a bit strange.

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  Probably this has happened:

PM: "Gosh there are lots of contractors out there that look worth interviewing. I've got 10 booked for next week!"
                  PM's mate: "Why don't you phone-interview them first then?"
                  PM: "Good idea."
                  Probably right!

Comment

This is sometimes a reaction to a few wasted interviews i.e. they decide early in the interview that the person is not going to be right and they have wasted a lot of time - we could have sussed that early if we had a phone chat, let's do that for the next lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X