"Pre-Interview Chat" "Pre-Interview Chat"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default "Pre-Interview Chat"

    I have an interview arranged next week for a PM role.

    The Agent called again today and said the client now wants a "pre-interview chat" over the phone a couple of days in advance of the face to face interview.

    I could understand it if they had booked phone interviews first for screening puroses, then only progressed to booking face-to-face interviews if you seemed a good fit after that.

    But to pre-arrange the face to face interviews, and then spring a "pre interview chat" seems a bit odd.

    Should I be suspicious? I've never encountered this before. Any ideas what's going on? As I say, it just seems a bit odd for some reason.

    Ta!

  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    704

    Default

    .......er what's odd about it?
    I actually ask agents to set them up if they can, helps find out about the role and get a feel if it's worth going to interview.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    .......er what's odd about it?
    I actually ask agents to set them up if they can, helps find out about the role and get a feel if it's worth going to interview.
    +1.

  4. #4

    Fingers like lightning

    SizeZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NH, NL
    Posts
    540

    Default

    You can use these meetings to your advantage to dig out information an agent might know about this project, past projects, or people placed with that company. Even if it will cost you a day's billing to attend, you already have the client interview set up so I'd recommend you go with a list of useful information you'd like - anything that might tip the scales in your favour when you meet the client is worth pursuing. Think of it as an investment.
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

  5. #5

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SizeZero View Post
    You can use these meetings to your advantage to dig out information an agent might know about this project, past projects, or people placed with that company. Even if it will cost you a day's billing to attend, you already have the client interview set up so I'd recommend you go with a list of useful information you'd like - anything that might tip the scales in your favour when you meet the client is worth pursuing. Think of it as an investment.
    Have you been drinking? This has no relevance to the OP.

  6. #6

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave68 View Post
    I have an interview arranged next week for a PM role.

    The Agent called again today and said the client now wants a "pre-interview chat" over the phone a couple of days in advance of the face to face interview.

    I could understand it if they had booked phone interviews first for screening puroses, then only progressed to booking face-to-face interviews if you seemed a good fit after that.

    But to pre-arrange the face to face interviews, and then spring a "pre interview chat" seems a bit odd.

    Should I be suspicious? I've never encountered this before. Any ideas what's going on? As I say, it just seems a bit odd for some reason.

    Ta!
    Sounds like 1st interview is going to be a telephone interview, second face to face. This is pretty common practise.

  7. #7

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave68 View Post
    it just seems a bit odd for some reason
    You get all sorts. Just roll with it...

  8. #8

    Prehistoric


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,826

    Default

    Nothing odd. There is no Official British Standard Method of Hiring Contractors, nor should there be, and clients often just aren't that organised. Probably this has happened:

    PM: "Gosh there are lots of contractors out there that look worth interviewing. I've got 10 booked for next week!"
    PM's mate: "Why don't you phone-interview them first then?"
    PM: "Good idea."

  9. #9

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    .......er what's odd about it?
    The odd thing is the order in which it was done, i.e. first set up a face to face meeting with no mention of a prior phone interview, then a few days later arrange a hitherto unmentioned phone 'chat' prior to the face to face. Seemed a bit strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Probably this has happened:

    PM: "Gosh there are lots of contractors out there that look worth interviewing. I've got 10 booked for next week!"
    PM's mate: "Why don't you phone-interview them first then?"
    PM: "Good idea."
    Probably right!

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    This is sometimes a reaction to a few wasted interviews i.e. they decide early in the interview that the person is not going to be right and they have wasted a lot of time - we could have sussed that early if we had a phone chat, let's do that for the next lot.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •