• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LSS Training?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSS Training?

Hi all,

I'm new to Lean Six Sigma and looking to get into it as it will help with the kind of client engagments I have, plus I think it will take my career into slightly different and hopefully more interesting directions.

Can anybody recommend a good training company; I'll be looking probably at Green Belt or perhaps Black Belt certification.

Thanks,

P

Nobody here Lean Six Sigma certified?

Surely not!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      Nobody here Lean Six Sigma certified?

Surely not!
      Jobserve, 1 week search, contract only:

Java: 797 roles.
      Six sigma: 0 roles.

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      I'm new to Lean Six Sigma and looking to get into it as it will help with the kind of client engagments I have, plus I think it will take my career into slightly different and hopefully more interesting directions.
      The nearest Dole Office, perhaps?
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Decent consultancy openings don't get anywhere near Jobserve.

Anyway, there are 34 Six Sigma contracts if you put quotes round it.

Comment

Interesting. But I never planned to be a LSS contractor, only to have the skills under my belt.

Then again, a client doesn't realise they need an LSS Green Belt until I convince them they do.

Comment

Lean in a transactional environment is useless. Its old hat and there are much better approaches on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by ribble View Post
              Lean in a transactional environment is useless. Its old hat and there are much better approaches on the horizon.
              Can you elaborate a bit more, and what are the other approaches you're referring to?

P

Comment

To start with do some reading on systems thinking.....

Comment

Originally posted by ribble View Post
                  To start with do some reading on systems thinking.....
                  LOL, what kind of answer is this? In other words you don't know.

Comment

Ok then.... Maybe my answer was to short and dismissive....

Essentially lean is being applied in transactional environments to discrete elements or processes, without considering the entire system. Also, what is the problem which needs to be fixed? Lean is seen as a wonder pill, but it requires a complete cultural shift led from the top, not bottom up. This will only serve to sub-optimise and piss off the employees, the people that do the value added work while managers will expect to see head count reductions as the prime benefit. Lean is misunderstood in transactional environments, and is doomed to fail.

Lean came from a business which wanted to make cars to meet customer demand. How many transactional environments share this model? To apply them blindly to a transactional process is like trying to replace a light bulb with a rake.

Also, manufacturing typically has loads of data available from control systems and almost everything is measurable and VISIBLE. Transactional processes are essentially invisible, therefore almost impossible to measure accurately. Transactional process have dozens of ways of doing the same thing to deal with variation. Manufacturing has tight controls on inputs and outputs. This is incredibly difficult / impossible to implement in transactional environments. We're dealing with people who are the processes, not machines or assembly lines.

Comment

Working...
                    X