• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do city banks accept direct applications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do city banks accept direct applications?

At least two banks are looking for contractors with my skills (Flex/Java), and although I didn't particularly get the feeling I was being fobbed off when I talked to an agency, it didn't go anywhere and I'd prefer to cut them out of the loop since I know who the clients are.
    But I don't see any way to contact them from their websites, wondered if anyone has any tips... I don't thin sending a letter to "HSBC, London" will get me too far
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

HR Team, HSBC, London
    Or
    Procurement, HSBC, London

Comment

You reckon it's worth a shot without a specific person to contact? I'd not be surprised if mega-corps like HSBC et al only work with agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        At least two banks are looking for contractors with my skills...
        Direct application?

From a contractor? Highly unlikely.

Permie? Yes.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

From what I have seen at the last 3 banks I worked at a direct letter won't have a snowballs chance in hell IMO.. 2 of them had a completely different group handling contract roles that were nothing to do with HR or Procurement at all.. ok ok there was some relationship of course but not to the level of passing letters/mails across to each other thats for sure.

Try something else imo....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do it anyway!!

Ring them up, you would be surprised how much information can be gleaned from someone in personnel.

Even if you only get the name of the person in personnel send your CV with a covering letter, be polite and thank them for their help etc...

Its not going to cost you anything and who knows what the result may be?...when looking for work you have to make your own luck!
            Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              At least two banks are looking for contractors with my skills (Flex/Java), and although I didn't particularly get the feeling I was being fobbed off when I talked to an agency, it didn't go anywhere and I'd prefer to cut them out of the loop since I know who the clients are.
              But I don't see any way to contact them from their websites, wondered if anyone has any tips... I don't thin sending a letter to "HSBC, London" will get me too far
              Dont want to piss on your chips but I very much doubt it.

fact is more banks are moving to a sole preferred supplier. Bank of America do it, LTSB \HBOS have just made reed intl(!) their sole preferred supplier.

We'd all like to cut agents out of the loop but for many of us, its just a pipedream.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                From what I have seen at the last 3 banks I worked at a direct letter won't have a snowballs chance in hell IMO.. 2 of them had a completely different group handling contract roles that were nothing to do with HR or Procurement at all.. ok ok there was some relationship of course but not to the level of passing letters/mails across to each other thats for sure.

Try something else imo....
                WHS.

Most banks want to pass the work of handling contractors off to agents. Where I am now have Hays internally doing there entire contract handling, but there is still an agent between me and Hays.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

HSBC do accept direct contractors. I am a direct contractor there myself.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Dont want to piss on your chips but I very much doubt it.

fact is more banks are moving to a sole preferred supplier.
                    I see the same work advertised by many agencies for a couple of banks, though in theory they might be messing about.

Comment

Working...
                    X