• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract agency not willing to sign a contract with my umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prpanther View Post
    I want to know, if it is legal for an agency to force me to use one of their own recommended umbrella?

Thanks.
    Almost certainly. It is just possible it is an illegal restraint of trade - but very unlikely.

Basically any entity can do business on whatever terms it like.

Comment

Why not have your umbrella company contract with one of theirs ?

Otherwise, go Ltd Co - if you are going to be here a while then its what you want anyway. The HMRC is cracking down on offshore schemes and trust me when I tell you - especially if your offshore Umbrella is Global International / Cellbrite - they won't look out for your interests if the taxman comes knocking..........the Ltd Co is the only legal way to go.....

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Almost certainly. It is just possible it is an illegal restraint of trade - but very unlikely.
        I'm not sure it even counts as a restraint of trade, because it's not preventing you from taking other contracts. It's merely the terms of business you must accept to work with this agency.

Normally I'd say this was pretty unreasonable, but from the sounds of things your current plans are potentially rather dodgy, so I'd sympathise with the agency...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          As far as I know, you can use whatever umbrella co or ltd arrangement you choose.
          You can use any umbrella you want to. Instead the agency can decide to form contracts with any Ltd company they want to. If those don't merge then you're stuck.

FWIW I won't sign a contract with an offshore Ltd company if I was hiring. No benefit to me so why should I?

Comment

Ok I believe an agency can do that, but I've not experienced it myself. Seems strange that the agency should choose to exclude any jobbing contractor happy with their current setup and unwilling to use their PS.

What brollies are the agents pushing?

Re-reading your post, It's likely that the agency has done it's due diligence and excluded dodgy schemes like EBTs, or brollies making spurious claims. AFAIK, the difference in what you should (legally) be paid from one brolly to another is down to their rates. The sums should be the same otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by prpanther View Post
              Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I just got my first contract here in the UK. The agency that hired me is a leader in the UK. Since I don't have a limited company here, I am opting for an umbrella company. But my agency is refusing to work with my preferred umbrella companies and instead insisting to choose one from their preferred list.

I spoke to the umbrella companies in their list. They seem to provide PAYE type scheme with a minimal invoicing fee every month. But unfortunately, I am losing a big chunk in tax every month.

Alternatively, I was thinking of choosing an offshore company scheme which gets me better returns. While there are arguments for and against this scheme, this post is not related to this.

I want to know, if it is legal for an agency to force me to use one of their own recommended umbrella?

Thanks.
              I had the same experience once..Agency gave me a list of 3 brollies and I had to choose one..I used them until I set up my Limited co., then terminated their service..
              Thats what you can do too..

Comment

How the **** or more pertinently, why the **** are foreign nationals still being allowed into the UK and take employment from unemployed UK contractors when there's a shortage of IT jobs in the fecking country?

Makes the steam off my piss boil this, it really does.

BTW Im working and not unemployed.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by 2solid View Post
                  I had the same experience once..Agency gave me a list of 3 brollies and I had to choose one..I used them until I set up my Limited co., then terminated their service..
                  Thats what you can do too..
                  Cheers for this. Its a good suggestion and thanks to everyone for your comments on the offshoring scheme. I think I am going to go with the recommended umbrella company to play safe.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    How the **** or more pertinently, why the **** are foreign nationals still being allowed into the UK and take employment from unemployed UK contractors when there's a shortage of IT jobs in the fecking country?
                    Many people from the UK go and live and work in other countries so it cuts both ways. It would be a pretty screwed up world if we couldn't move freely and businesses couldn't recruit the people they needed to expand their business.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X