• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance

Can anybody make a recommendation regarding car insurance (must include business use); cheapest quote to-date is £490 for an old Nissan 2litre diesel (> 10 years no claims).

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    Can anybody make a recommendation regarding car insurance (must include business use); cheapest quote to-date is £490 for an old Nissan 2litre diesel (> 10 years no claims).
    Use a comparison site. Then go to the insurers own site.

Sites to use include goCompare.com

Sod it just look here - Insurance: Cheapest Car, Home, Travel, Van, Bike, Dental, Loan, Mortgage Insurance & more
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
      Jesus! Nearly 500 quid for a car over 10 year old!! Bet the car isnt worth much more than your premium.

Im paying 370 on a 1 year old 3 series convertible and 249 on a 7 year old 3 series sport. Both business travel included.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Jesus! Nearly 500 quid for a car over 10 year old!! Bet the car isnt worth much more than your premium.

Im paying 370 on a 1 year old 3 series convertible and 249 on a 7 year old 3 series sport. Both business travel included.
        Addanc obviously lives in a area where people claim more often on their car insurance there as you don't.

Plus older cars are more dangerous for occupants so just because a car is old doesn't mean it's cheaper to insure.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nothing to do with the cost of the car these days. Doesn't matter if you run someone over in an old banger or a brand new Merc. - the cost of the car is insignificant to the cost of their injuries and future care costs should they take some time to recover (if they ever do fully recover...)

I've only found it's the driver's age and no claims bonus that make any significant difference to insurance quotes (plus the obvious "one horse town" versus "Central London" location of the car).
          Last edited by nomadd; 13 June 2010, 19:05.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            I've only found it's the driver's age and no claims bonus that make any significant difference to insurance quotes (plus the obvious "one horse town" versus "Central London" location of the car).
            We were paying £40 per month when my Fiat Punto 1.9 Diesel was insured at my home in Devon, back in November we moved to Tottenham, it went up to £80 per month when we moved and we have just had a renewal at 120 per month!!!

My Nissan 350Z sports car lives at my parent's place in Devon and costs me £330 fully comp.

Location is a pain in the arse (wallet)
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

So which insurance company?

Comment

Just had to renew my insurance and this years quotes were some 50% higher than last year (same car, no points, no claims) it appears, at least according to the 20 odd companies I spoke to, that the rates have gone up a big chunk.

My home post code is a problem too which makes insurance far from cheap to start off with.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  My home post code is a problem too which makes insurance far from cheap to start off with.
                  Snap.

Comment

Insurance Basics

A majority of your insurance goes to cover other people that you might injure or kill or cause damage to their property or car. The value of your car doesnt impact this. You will be amazed to know that most people pay more to insure other peoples' lives than their own.

The age and cost of your car has an impact on the component that is used to cover damages to your car. This is smaller than the above component.

Comment

Working...
                    X