• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immediate termination rights in first 10 days - is this a standard contract clause?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would never accept any clause in a contract that basically said you would not get paid for work done.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
      Would never accept any clause in a contract that basically said you would not get paid for work done.
      My new one has one in it, but it lasts for 5 hours, not 10 days!!!
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Hey it was Steria Recruitment.

I said I wanted it removed and a new contract was immediately sent over. It did seem like they put it in there hoping they weren't challenged, as they agreed it was not a fair clause and immediately updated contract as soon as I spoke to them. Everything else looks above board - and had the contract reviewed by SJD also.

Does make you wonder if they actually use this clause though woth those who don't ask for the update.

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by uctech View Post
          Hey it was Steria Recruitment.
          Hope you also got the 30 day in arrears payment terms changed? I had to argue that through them a couple of contracts back.

Oh, and if you are on a rolling 3 month contract, expect a phone call every 9 weeks telling you your contract is up for renewal but the client wants to reduce the rate (...whilst all the Steria permies on-site get their annual 3-5% pay rise.) I had to tell Steria 4 times to stuff their contract up their backsides if they thought I was going to take a rate cut so they could waste it on their useless permies. Each time the contract finally came through at the original rate. All the other contractors I worked with got taken for a ride by Steria (the mugs); we all got let go at the same time when the project was complete, so them accepting huge rate drops at every renewal gained them nothing.

Be warned.

Oh, and best of luck with the new contract.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

OK thanks for the heads up. I've a 6 month contract so i'll have enough buffer not to be so desperate to renew. I certainly agree ref not reducing rates, but I'll make sure I'm overly wary when dealing with them based on your comments. Thanks Nomad and everyone else for the help!!!

Comment

Hey Nomad - I have got a 30 day 4 week payment period with Steria. I didn't challenge this as I thought it was pretty standard. From your comments though I'm regretting that decision and should have renogotiated that point also. I must admit even at the time it was a concern when I thought of having 4 weeks work owed by a ltd company during these financial time.

Just goes to show the value in the contarctor forum community! Hopefully I won't get burnt this time (fingers crossed) and I will learn for future contracts...

Comment

Working...
              X