• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the biggest factor in whether you enjoy a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a lot of touchy-feely bollocks going on here today. A contractor should vote for the money every time. Second would be commute.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      There is a lot of touchy-feely bollocks going on here today. A contractor should vote for the money every time. Second would be commute.
      Thats the best post in this thread.

Comment

2 hours a day on the train so I can have my soul destroyed, all for an extra £50? Bollocks to that.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          2 hours a day on the train so I can have my soul destroyed, all for an extra £50? Bollocks to that.
          Those £50 per day extra comes to £200 per week and alomost add up to a grand for a month and could easy be £10K a year. This give you a couple of weeks extra holiday end of it all with your wife and kids...

Comment

Depends what Money you're on

Current gig is a great commute and nice people.

Problem is that the rate is not good and I'm frankly not sure that it covers my outgoings.

Point is that i'm pondering going elsewhere for more cash, but probably worse on the other criteria (e.g. especially commute)

If you're putting money in the warchest each week then Money doesn't seem a priority, but if the debt's aren't getting any smaller then it's a different set of priorities.

Comment

The dinner bell.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                I doubt you're very good at what you do, if money is all that drives you.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
                  Those £50 per day extra comes to £200 per week and alomost add up to a grand for a month and could easy be £10K a year. This give you a couple of weeks extra holiday end of it all with your wife and kids...
                  But it's 2 hours per day. 10 hours a week. 40 hours a month. That could be 450-500 hours a year. Which is about the same as 30 days-worth of time (based on 16 hours a day).

So your method has him sitting on the train for 2 hours a day, so that he can barely see his family in the evenings, in order to spend on average 2 weeks less a year with them... and your way assumes he'll take 2 weeks more off simply because he earns more - as if he can book holiday like a permie.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    But it's 2 hours per day. 10 hours a week. 40 hours a month. That could be 450-500 hours a year. Which is about the same as 30 days-worth of time (based on 16 hours a day).

So your method has him sitting on the train for 2 hours a day, so that he can barely see his family in the evenings, in order to spend on average 2 weeks less a year with them... and your way assumes he'll take 2 weeks more off simply because he earns more - as if he can book holiday like a permie.
                    What I tried to show was how much those extra £50 actually could be long term. It's impossible to put down one single item as the biggest factor except from money, I think most contractors would go for a really boring contract in a bad location if the money is really really good. For me everything has to be consider before taking a contract - money, commute, location and type of work.
                    Last edited by dynamicsaxcontractor; 16 August 2010, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
                      Assuming 200 days billed it's £10k a year before tax. So perhaps £7k.

So the question becomes; is the extra money (or an extra 2 weeks off) worth an extra 400 hours of commuting and being more tired, stressed and unhappy for the 10.5 months of the year you are working?

I think it largely depends if you can earn enough to achieve your desired standard of living without making those additional sacrifices. At the moment, I would like to have the choice
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X