• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector Contractors

Who's contracting in Public Sector? How are you finding it from on the ground. I am still hanging in there but majority of dept just got the "letter" to say their jobs were under review... its changing times... we have had a total contractor freeze for the past 2 months and its looking even darker...

Where next for public sector contractors (no smart remarks - saying the next step down - the dole!) Is there any other market which is good apart from banking... I am still puzzled how RBS are hiring contractors yet they keep culling permies and shutting locations. I find it baffling as I am sure they could just look to relocating some of these peeps. Ok - I know we're good but some common sense for the tax payer - plus my share holdings!!
    Never Never Never give up

You are a fracking collaborator.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Why because I give an honest but somewhat naive opinion - this is open to debate! I am thinking out loud how the recession is going to impact public sector contractors furthers... man loosen up

Comment

I've just finished a contract for the public sector, all contractors are being let go. At least I finished mine, others weren't so fortunate.

I'm now looking for my next contract. There is work out there, it's just getting it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Personally, I would be interested to see how the market treats public sector contractors as well.

I have never worked in the public sector and when the market started to turn, this sector via agents, decided you needed prior experience in the sector to be considered for any roles.

I wonder if ex-public sector employees/contractors will now be shunned by the private sector - something I have heard some companies, even prior to the downturn, do.

Comment

I too work in a public sector organisation and whilst we have received a generic message advising that ALL temp staff (including contractors) will not have their contracts renewed I have managed to secure a 6 month extension. I'm also interviewing candidates for another posiiton so despite the doom and gloom there are still glimmers of hope.

Comment

Interviewing is one thing Elliott but are you able to bring them on board. Have finance allowed you to do this? We are finding there are many benched people out there and we can be quite specific in candidate requirements however being able to bring them on board is proving utmost difficult even if it makes sense for long term - REVENUE ACCOUNTING is ruling the roost at the moment.

Comment

I left the public sector last year. Good timing methinks!
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
                  Who's contracting in Public Sector? How are you finding it from on the ground. I am still hanging in there but majority of dept just got the "letter" to say their jobs were under review... its changing times... we have had a total contractor freeze for the past 2 months and its looking even darker...

Where next for public sector contractors (no smart remarks - saying the next step down - the dole!) Is there any other market which is good apart from banking... I am still puzzled how RBS are hiring contractors yet they keep culling permies and shutting locations. I find it baffling as I am sure they could just look to relocating some of these peeps. Ok - I know we're good but some common sense for the tax payer - plus my share holdings!!
                  I work in Public sector via large outsourcing company, my initial contract was with public sector client and i started just before they asked for Voluntary redundany to cut spending nearly 2 years ago, from that point on they could not recruit and there was no need as they were outsourcing the IT function so i was Boomed, outsource company come along and just want to keep running smoothly while they get things sorted, Boomed again, now the cut's are coming outsource company want to make infrastructure changes if this happens then loads of work, if it does not then they will need to keep all the old systems running, its a win win situation.

I have also heard of private companies shunning people with Public experience (lets face it most of the public workers would not last a week in the private sector), in an ideal world you need a good mix of both sectors (which i have) and don't hang around the same PS contract for to long, although thats harder said than done in the current climate

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I wonder if ex-public sector employees/contractors will now be shunned by the private sector - something I have heard some companies, even prior to the downturn, do.
                    That already happens, ie, can't get a job in banking without recent banking experience which is similar to the "can't get SC without an SC cleared contract which I won't be considered for'. Same for other financial services, so too much time in the PS can work against ya.

It's all BS,skills are so easily transferable and contractors in the public sector are not the same as civil servants (ie, some would actually prefer NOT to be contracting for public sector but it's where the work has been for their skillset recently).

I'm on a Public Sector project up norff. It's a pants project but the number of contractors desperate to hold onto their contracts (via renewels) is so amazing, people brown nosing and have no b*lls etc as they're afraid they'll be canned and won't find more PS work easily. I'm getting on peoples nerves I think as I'm trying to push the project forward quickly and making it known I want out ASAP so I can look for something more challenging. I want to get the work done, hence I'm not walking out on them. Others are loving the delays, me, with every delay I'm getting more annoyed
                    Last edited by SuperZ; 7 September 2010, 12:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X