• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

asp.net rates down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    No tulip!!

I know that, that's the part of the reference process I don't mind - this can be easily found by contacting HR of the companies. Would an agent accept Jane Doe from HR as a reference?? I think not.
    I've never had a problem with HR references when going through an agent, never.

Comment

Ok, I'll bite.....

Most big companies will not tell you anything negative about a ex-employee/contractor, company rules are usually in place, so that company is protected from being sued.

How do TAV and the other agents on here answer that?

Is your experience different to mine in that respect? Do you hope to get the inside track on a call with someone from client co? ie. off the record
      Right. well there's a few ways around this. Firstly, you don't talk about the contractor, you talk about their limited company - there's generally nothing stopping a manager reviewing one of his suppliers honestly.

Secondly, is the obvious "off the record" conversation.

Third is to get a simple yes/no response to the question of whether they'd employ that company again in the right circumstances.

What I would say is that there is two parts to a reference - the first one being date checking, and looking for smells which resemble those of the droppings of a bovine creature, and the second being a review of outcomes and deliveries - The number of people who have laid claim to projects which they were supporting, not running, is incredible - I use it almost as a secondary qualification process.

All of the above said, you've missed the point - any agent who wants a reference, should be happy to provide you a reference on his or her services - fair's fair - they might get business from your contact, you might get business from theirs.
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
        I've never had a problem with HR references when going through an agent, never.
        Well, I stand corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          All of the above said, you've missed the point - any agent who wants a reference, should be happy to provide you a reference on his or her services - fair's fair - they might get business from your contact, you might get business from theirs.
          the rest is fine and pretty interesting, but the above is balls.... you have much more chance to get something from our reference than we have of yours.

Comment

the rest is fine and pretty interesting, but the above is balls.... you have much more chance to get something from our reference than we have of yours.
            If you think like a Permie, or think of yourself as the only service that your business can provide, then yes, that's true.

If you think of yourself as a business, one of whoms assets is you, but that there are a million other possibilities which could be explored simply by opening dialogue, then actually, you open yourself up to a whole other income stream, and at that point, fair's fair.

Sharpen up guys - this recession is not going to get any shorter by considering yourself the only potential income stream to your limited company!
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Sharpen up guys - this recession is not going to get any shorter by considering yourself the only potential income stream to your limited company!
              We're still in recession?

Comment

Maybe if they were proper companies rather than freelancers masquerading as companies to avoid stupid tax laws...
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you think like a Permie, or think of yourself as the only service that your business can provide, then yes, that's true.

If you think of yourself as a business, one of whoms assets is you, but that there are a million other possibilities which could be explored simply by opening dialogue, then actually, you open yourself up to a whole other income stream, and at that point, fair's fair.

I do, and I have a number of other streams on income into my company, that is not my issue - my issue is bulltulip from agents that call me asking for references while only wanting business leads.

I think my point still stands - much easier for you to get business from my references than the other way around.

And I just can't imagine many agents giving me names from their clients as references for them. Sure you say you will on here, but I still find it pretty hard to believe.

Comment

I do, and I have a number of other streams on income into my company, that is not my issue - my issue is bulltulip from agents that call me asking for references while only wanting business leads.

I think my point still stands - much easier for you to get business from my references than the other way around.

And I just can't imagine many agents giving me names from their clients as references for them. Sure you say you will on here, but I still find it pretty hard to believe.
                    I would happily provide those names, but only if there was common ground (ie I needed a reference from you because I have a role for you) - as you can imagine, I have the same challenges - references have a limited shelf life if you abuse them - something I do understand.

I do however have a number of written testimonials from individuals who I've worked with, to overcome the majority of doubts - if they then need further affirmation, then I am happy to provide details of someone to confirm that references are genuine etc.

Unfortunately, there is always an element of trust involved in this process - Something which I know you guys find hard with agents involved.....
                    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                    X