• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

asp.net rates down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asp.net rates down?

Been looking for an asp.net webdev contract on jobserve for a few weeks now and the rates for about half of the contracts posted are diabolical ... below £300/£250 a day.

Anyone taking or know of someone who has taken one of these lower paid contracts? Maybe there are too many asp.net contractors out there now so agencies know they can push rates down? Hardly worth contracting below £250 a day?

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    Been looking for an asp.net webdev contract on jobserve for a few weeks now and the rates for about half of the contracts posted are diabolical ... below £300/£250 a day.

Anyone taking or know of someone who has taken one of these lower paid contracts? Maybe there are too many asp.net contractors out there now so agencies know they can push rates down? Hardly worth contracting below £250 a day?

Placed an ASP.net developer in Manchester on £300 per day last week - have had a couple of jobs on at £400 per day, but they have been pulled now....

Make of that what you will.

By the way - they were REALLY easy fills, so unless it was fluke (Im not very techie orientated) then there is probably a glut of people around at the moment?

HTH
    TAV

Many
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      Placed an ASP.net developer in Manchester on £300 per day last week - have had a couple of jobs on at £400 per day, but they have been pulled now....

Make of that what you will.

By the way - they were REALLY easy fills, so unless it was fluke (Im not very techie orientated) then there is probably a glut of people around at the moment?

HTH
      TAV

Many
      Always a glut of asp.net people around, what's rarer is good asp.net people and it can be pretty hard to tell the good from the bad untill after they start

Comment

But there seems to be a trend to push these rates below £300 which you don't seem to have with Java. It seems to be a skill that is in a deflationary spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          Always a glut of asp.net people around, what's rarer is good asp.net people and it can be pretty hard to tell the good from the bad untill after they start
          Not difficult to tell in my opinion, but does open up an argument. If you want to find out, you ask for references. Unfortunately, you then get the "you're fishing" argument. No mate, I'm looking to find out if you are what you say you are, so that I don't put you in, and have you turn out to be tripe.....
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

No mate, I'm looking to find out if you are what you say you are, so that I don't put you in, and have you turn out to be tripe.....
            If only there was a way of vetting agents prior to them asking that question then it would be easier to decide whether or not to answer that question truthfully.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              If only there was a way of vetting agents prior to them asking that question then it would be easier to decide whether or not to answer that question truthfully.
              I keep trying, but people don't listen to me!

GET REFERENCES ON YOUR AGENT! Even if they're LinkedIn references, they should all give you a good idea - ideally you'd want to speak to a candidate who has been through the process with them to drill.

I would happily provide references to anyone who asked me for them - If I want them from you, it's not that much to expect is it?
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I keep trying, but people don't listen to me!

GET REFERENCES ON YOUR AGENT! Even if they're LinkedIn references, they should all give you a good idea - ideally you'd want to speak to a candidate who has been through the process with them to drill.

I would happily provide references to anyone who asked me for them - If I want them from you, it's not that much to expect is it?
                Ok, I'll bite.....

Most big companies will not tell you anything negative about a ex-employee/contractor, company rules are usually in place, so that company is protected from being sued.

How do TAV and the other agents on here answer that?

Is your experience different to mine in that respect? Do you hope to get the inside track on a call with someone from client co? ie. off the record

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Ok, I'll bite.....

Most big companies will not tell you anything negative about a ex-employee/contractor, company rules are usually in place, so that company is protected from being sued.

How do TAV and the other agents on here answer that?

Is your experience different to mine in that respect? Do you hope to get the inside track on a call with someone from client co? ie. off the record
                  The reference isn't just to find out if you were good/bad
                  it's also to verify the information on your CV, make sure you weren't bulltulipting your role, length of contract or even the fact that you were there!
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    The reference isn't just to find out if you were good/bad
                    it's also to verify the information on your CV, make sure you weren't bulltulipting your role, length of contract or even the fact that you were there!
                    No tulip!!

I know that, that's the part of the reference process I don't mind - this can be easily found by contacting HR of the companies. Would an agent accept Jane Doe from HR as a reference?? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                    X