• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General Long term Erosion of Contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Where in the UK are you d000hg? nearest city?
    Durham. If it weren't for the Japanese branch of the university I think the only coloured people I'd see would be running takeaways, except that we have quite a collection of nationalities represented in my church (no idea why).

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    So you live in a 'white' town but your complaining about posters who don't like living in multi-culti places?
    You equate colour with culture?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Durham. If it weren't for the Japanese branch of the university I think the only coloured people I'd see would be running takeaways, except that we have quite a collection of nationalities represented in my church (no idea why).
      Sounds idyllic, I envy you.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        Regardless of boom and bust cycles the general trend of IT contractor rates seems to have been downward over the last decade. I have never got the rate that was offered in 2005 over boom and bust cycles even though I feel I am much more qualified since then.
        I would even go further and say that rates peaked in year 2000 and gradually coming down since. Not only that, the bench time between contracts seem to widen.

But even so, you can still earn a good income if you are able to secure contracts at top-end market rates.

Comment

Blame Labour policies

blame it on 13 years of Labour. They have done their very best to make the british worker uncompetitive.

Minimum wages, maximum hours, Health & Safety, faux equality laws, litigious friendly employment laws, open door immigration...

The Health & Safety industry is a huge burden on companies. The cost drains income and hinders productivity.

We have all seen in the news, the service women smiling because they won hundreds of thousands of pounds in compo for a sprained finger. That compo money comes from somewhere and it means some will lose their jobs.

Open door immigration and a couple of 100,000s of foreign IT workers joining the market. Supply goes up and the price goes down. Simples!

I read somewhere that prawns caught off Scotland are shipped off to the far east for shelling because it is cheaper than using scottish workers.

And then there is IR35...could it possibly have been introduced to make contractors more expensive? Who could possibly gain from that? Unionised permies?? How could permies in a union object to a contractor? As the unions provide the bulk funding for the Labour party, is there a connection? Surely not.

I have met quite a few Labour voting contractors. Fools & hypocrites each and every one of them.

Comment

Working...
          X