• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General Long term Erosion of Contract market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Long term Erosion of Contract market

Regardless of boom and bust cycles the general trend of IT contractor rates seems to have been downward over the last decade. I have never got the rate that was offered in 2005 over boom and bust cycles even though I feel I am much more qualified since then.

There must be loads of reasons for that though - outsourcing to countries (ahem, country) which was unknown for technology a decade ago and now runs half the planet's IT services; large numbers of young people specifically studying programming, computer engineering, graphic design etc, rather than just falling into it because they were the person in the office that was the biggest fan of Star Trek; ability of a lot of organisations to build and maintain applications and systems in house instead of relying on the three people in the entire country who actually knew how it all worked etc.

But there's still a fair bit around, and quite solid rates really, considering how bad it could be.

Comment

The problem with IT work is that it can be shipped overseas, indeed inter-planetary if it were appropriate, the developers don't need to be sitting next to the published article. That's very different to the days when we built steam engines where it would take a bit more than a couple of seconds to move the work to its final destination. Can't help thinking that we might have seen the peak - or be at the peak - of rates etc.

I'm just glad my two youngsters decided they wanted to do something different to following Dad into the IT industry.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

But there's still a fair bit around, and quite solid rates really, considering how bad it could be.
        And to be fair even at the new rates we are hardly on the bread line just yet
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Let's be honest here.

THE FOREIGNERS ARE KNICKING THE WORK.

They have no need to earn big money to pay big house prices. They take the cash back to their little tin huts and sit on it. Makes me sick.

Comment

No-one is nicking it, big companies seeing IT as a huge cost and essentially a commodity service have outsourced it as with other services (facilities, food provision) to reduce the cost and maximise profit.
            Suppliers of these services then use resource from a cheaper location to make a profit on what they can charge.
            IT isn't dead but many areas will go through a lifecycle and not only die but become extinct - adapt or die, everything you have spent 15-20 years getting good at can be worth NMW very quickly.

Comment

The government have allowed this to happen. So much for 'creating British jobs for British people'. More like 'taking British jobs from British people'.

This whole industry (and country) is beginning to sicken me. Yep, I'm having a bad day but this industry is no longer the same and it never will be. Yep I might get the next £ 800 a day contract I just missed out on but for every possible me there's a hundred definite others who are seeing their livelihood evaporate. Criminal. Rule Britannia.

The funny bit is you sit at your desk and look around. Hardly anybody is a 'native' while all the natives are sat on the bench. Is it a question of ability to do the job or ability to work for less money? Definitely the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                The government have allowed this to happen. So much for 'creating British jobs for British people'. More like 'taking British jobs from British people'.

This whole industry (and country) is beginning to sicken me. Yep, I'm having a bad day but this industry is no longer the same and it never will be. Yep I might get the next £ 800 a day contract I just missed out on but for every possible me there's a hundred definite others who are seeing their livelihood evaporate. Criminal. Rule Britannia.

The funny bit is you sit at your desk and look around. Hardly anybody is a 'native' while all the natives are sat on the bench. Is it a question of ability to do the job or ability to work for less money? Definitely the latter.
                Boo bloody hoo. Protectionism is never a good way to run an economy and why should the government step in to save your job? Nobody owes you an £800/day contract, or even a £15k job. Life's what you make of it and there's no point moaning; either shape up and move with the market, or get out.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  The difference is that you don't see the jobs they create. There is no commitment to creating british contracts, for british companies (which is what you are - when are you people going to learn!?!)

Company in UK can do job for one price, company abroad can do it for another - if you want the homegrown work to be competitive, you need to think about the price point your company charges - there's competition from the import market now.

Their companies, can do it cheaper. End of. You want the work? Be competitive about it!
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

[QUOTE=oliverson;1195414]The government have allowed this to happen. So much for 'creating British jobs for British people'. More like 'taking British jobs from British people'.

QUOTE]

depends how you look at it. The government should protect british workers wherever possible. But it comes at a cost. If BA pays you 800 a day whereas american airlines gets the same work done for 100 a day then they will be able to reduce (LA to london) ticket prices leading to BA closing down and further job losses (including your 800 a day). so there really is no option for governments today.

Comment

Working...
                    X