• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract early - moral dilema?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a contract early - moral dilema?

Hi,

I'm having a dilema that I need someone with a different perpective.

I applied, interviewed and presented for a 6 month contract as a Vendor Manager with a Tech Manufacturer (1 hour commte from home). During the interview I demonstrated how I worked, my approach, how I work with suppliers to get the best from them and was given very positive feedback. Indeed I was offered the role before I had left the car park. However...I have been here two weeks and it has transpired that the role is very different from the one I thought I was walking into. Still working in a back-office function, but the role is a task-based role, not a strategic one; a role which requires me to be "..at your desk all the time...", "...you won't need to visit suppliers..." all the reverse of how I left the interview.

Now it could be thought that I ran a bad interview, didn't ask the right questions, my counter-argument to that is the fact I presented my approach. The way I work. I'm not sure I could have been clearer. I am not happy here - at all.

I should add, at this point, that during the interview, a Director told me that "...if you think that you might leave before the end then remember this is a small world and we WILL bump into one another..." Basically a not very well veiled threat.

So, my dilemma:
    I have another contract available, pays a slightly higher rate, closer to home. Performing (I think) closer activities to my skill set with (I know) much greater autonomy. I am VERY tempted to leave this contract (following the notice period) and move. What do you think? Would this be so wrong?

Originally posted by tgardener View Post
    Hi,

I'm having a dilema that I need someone with a different perpective.

I applied, interviewed and presented for a 6 month contract as a Vendor Manager with a Tech Manufacturer (1 hour commte from home). During the interview I demonstrated how I worked, my approach, how I work with suppliers to get the best from them and was given very positive feedback. Indeed I was offered the role before I had left the car park. However...I have been here two weeks and it has transpired that the role is very different from the one I thought I was walking into. Still working in a back-office function, but the role is a task-based role, not a strategic one; a role which requires me to be "..at your desk all the time...", "...you won't need to visit suppliers..." all the reverse of how I left the interview.

Now it could be thought that I ran a bad interview, didn't ask the right questions, my counter-argument to that is the fact I presented my approach. The way I work. I'm not sure I could have been clearer. I am not happy here - at all.

I should add, at this point, that during the interview, a Director told me that "...if you think that you might leave before the end then remember this is a small world and we WILL bump into one another..." Basically a not very well veiled threat.

So, my dilemma:
    I have another contract available, pays a slightly higher rate, closer to home. Performing (I think) closer activities to my skill set with (I know) much greater autonomy. I am VERY tempted to leave this contract (following the notice period) and move. What do you think? Would this be so wrong?
    Not at all. Explain you feel this isn't the role you interviewed for and work your notice. All seems fair to me.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Not at all. Explain you feel this isn't the role you interviewed for and work your notice. All seems fair to me.
      Agreed, I don't see this is a moral dilemma, but a business one. The only thing that I would consider is the veiled threat, which only you can evaluate.

Comment

Thats what notice periods are for, if you hand your notice in and work it then from your point of view you have done everything in accordance with the contract correctly in regards to leaving!

Comment

^ WTS.

Oh, and ignore what the Director said - sounds like a jumped up little oik trying to come across as hard.

Comment

It is easy for us just to say go. We don't have to deal with supplier and the feeling of personal guilt or whatever it is you get in this situation. What is right for the business and how it makes you feel are two diff things.

It does look pretty straightfoward as everyone says but it isn't nice isn't it. There have been threads like this before and people will steam and say just leave, nut up and shut up but I certainly don't find it easy even if it is black and white..

Why not invoke your right of substitution. If it makes you feel better find someone that can do your role and when you say you are going, introduce the new guy and sing his praises. Tell client it wasn't the role you expected and the new guy would be much better fit. It is possible you could actually make the client happy if you managed to pull it all together and everyone wins.

Anyhow, looks like you know which choice is the right one so good luck...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why did he say that? Did he already expect you to leave before the end? Did he know the contract wasn't right for you? Does he often have contractors leaving early on him, and why would that be?
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

If the discussion about leaving has already been initiated then the writing is on the wall.

Comment

I wonder why he felt the need to say that?

Perhaps he's a bully? Perhaps he knew he was misrepresenting the job? Perhaps he knew he was paying below market rate and he'd had a few people walk on him? Perhaps he is a

Just wondering, like.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

You need to learn to spell, then say, "meh".

So, my dilemma:
                    So, leave.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                    X