• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer Futures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was not sent the full contract with terms only a 2 page summery outlining rates etc the actual contract was sent once I started.

Comment

Originally posted by ASCII View Post
      Just started a contract with CF beginning to regret it as no point was I told about having to wait 28 days before I get paid. I have told them and they are not willing to budge on this.
      There was nothing in the contract which said what the payment terms were? There was nothing in anything else that they sent you which gave you the payment terms? I found that incredibly hard to believe.

Further more I think they are taking a lot more money from the client than I am being paid, I'm sure the margin is very high.
      Unless you know for sure, then what do you want to happen? And even if you know for sure, then this is absolutely nothing to do with you - you could use this knowledge (not speculation) to negotiate the margin down and get a higher daily rate when it comes to renewal, but you will need to be sure rather than just guessing.

Do you think it is a good idea to discuss this with the client ?
      No

I am thinking of walking away from this contract, though cannot fault the client just the terms of every thing is a bit of a mess.
      OK
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just started a contract with CF beginning to regret it as no point was I told about having to wait 28 days before I get paid. I have told them and they are not willing to budge on this.
        What does your contract say about payment terms?

If it says 28 days then that's what it is. You signed it.

Further more I think they are taking a lot more money from the client than I am being paid, I'm sure the margin is very high. Do you think it is a good idea to discuss this with the client ? I am thinking of walking away from this contract, though cannot fault the client just the terms of every thing is a bit of a mess.
        I hate to be defending CF , but...

It's a known tactic that some agents will put forward the candidate that gets them the biggest margin. You could have asked for more but then maybe now you wouldn't be on site. As long as the client is happy with your work (for the price they are paying) then put this one down to experience and do a better job of negotiating next time - at renewal perhaps.

Comment

I was not sent the full contract with terms only a 2 page summery outlining rates etc the actual contract was sent once I started.
          Well there's a lesson to learn there - don't start work until you see the contract, get it reviewed and signed.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So you didn't get it reviewed by QDOS and don't really know your IR35 situation then either?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Happy to look into it for you ASCII, I have sent you a PM.
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

For what's it's worth my last contract was with CF and it was fine, always paid on time.

I was told up front it was 30 days billing but weekly invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Indeed. Sometimes I actually feel a little bit sorry for agents. It's all in the contract, everyone signs and is happy and then they have to deal with people who didn't read not understand their contracts. Must be soul destroying at times.
                  I don't feel sorry for any profession where there whole business model is screwing people over.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  OK. 10 seconds have passed and don't feel sorry anymore. F### em.
                  Ahhh, normal service has been resumed.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    I don't feel sorry for any profession where there whole business model is screwing people over.
                    'their'

Believe it or not, we'd be out of business if that was our business model. Our model relies on giving our clients and contractors a good service, in our market place we have thousands of competitors and our customers will vote with their feet if we fall short.

I've not heard anything from the poster that bumped this thread. To clarify, our payment terms are 28 days for limited companies and we do a daily payment run each working day. The majority of our UK contractors are on a weekly worksheet cycle and our portal allows contractors to see when their payments have been approved and then they will be paid.

My offer to review this issue remains open ASCII.
                    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                      What does your contract say about payment terms?

If it says 28 days then that's what it is. You signed it.

I hate to be defending CF , but...

It's a known tactic that some agents will put forward the candidate that gets them the biggest margin. You could have asked for more but then maybe now you wouldn't be on site. As long as the client is happy with your work (for the price they are paying) then put this one down to experience and do a better job of negotiating next time - at renewal perhaps.
                      Hypothetical situation then - agent has three candidates for a job. First one wants 300 a day, second 400 a day and third 500 a day. Client is prepared to pay 550 a day. All candidates suitable for role though 300 a day candidate has less experience than other two. Agent happy to put first candidate to client and client happy. Just good business on behalf of agent. If candidate one throws toys out of pram demanding a better rate I think I woukd be pissed off as an agent. Agents are difficult people to work with, but cant fault them for you accepting a job at your agreed rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X