• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract only - CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I don't have my CV's on the job boards as it leads to unsolicited calls.
    In my case having my CV on certain job boards has lead to contracts.

Though on one of the boards I leave my CV on it seems that it's HR staff who have the problem reading not agencies.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      In my case having my CV on certain job boards has lead to contracts.
      To date, all of my roles have come from the unadvertised market, and certainly before they make it onto the job boards. So I really can't afford to take my CV away from these sites. I will just have to continue putting up with the endless calls.

On the plus side, the calls make me feel popular

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Hi,

Like many contractors I have my CV posted on the major job sites and CV databases. Also, in order to avoid hundreds of pointless calls about permy work I always ensure I tick the "contract" related boxes and deselect any "permanent" ones in my account preferences.

However, this doesn't seem to work very well and I still receive > 50% perm calls rather than contract. Frustratingly I often forget to ask if the role is perm or contract at the start of the call, and only find out after a lengthy conversation with the agent

Has anyone tried going further and putting words like "Contract Only" on the top/front page of their CV?
        If so, any success, or any other tactics?

CS
        Personally, I think this is a bad idea.

granted, it's your choice, but a lot of clients would at like least to think that you won't jump ship as soon as another job comes in paying a better rate, but by saying "Contract Wh0re Only" in big letters on your CV doesn't give the right impression imho.

as others have said, ideally you should do a new CV per role, or at least have a contract /perm type CV, but if don't want to increase your chances of getting chucked in the bin straight away, play the game and leave contract only well off your CV
        Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post

granted, it's your choice, but a lot of clients would at like least to think that you won't jump ship as soon as another job comes in paying a better rate, but by saying "Contract Wh0re Only" in big letters on your CV doesn't give the right impression imho.

as others have said, ideally you should do a new CV per role, or at least have a contract /perm type CV, but if don't want to increase your chances of getting chucked in the bin straight away, play the game and leave contract only well off your CV
          This ^

As a "hardcore" contractor myself, I still wouldn't put it on my CV.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

There is nothing you can do. Agents will call you regardless because they are mostly idiots that have fallen into their role in lieu of any real tangible skills. On my CV under my contact details I have a single black bold bullet point that reads "Seeking contract work only". Do you think this does any good? Right... none whatsoever.

Strangely enough, "none whatsoever" seems to be the average IQ for an average recruitment "consultant". When they phone up now regarding permie work I simply ask them if they read my CV or not beforehand, and did they see the big black bullet point leaping out at them like a frog on speed.

Makes them look pretty stupid, and me very happy.
            Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

What a pile of crap you have written.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                What a pile of crap you have written.
                thank you for your considered approach. do you work in recruitment?
                Cloud Computing - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

thank you for your considered approach. do you work in recruitment?
                  Virtually every agency I've had contact with puts your CV in their format.

On lots of occasions this means removing words or phrases they don't like or think are relevant that's if they haven't (and that's the more honest ones) asked you to edit your CV yourself to include/exclude information.

A direct client wouldn't care if you have "contract only" on your CV as that's the reason they hired your services.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X