• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract only - CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract only - CVs

Hi,

Like many contractors I have my CV posted on the major job sites and CV databases. Also, in order to avoid hundreds of pointless calls about permy work I always ensure I tick the "contract" related boxes and deselect any "permanent" ones in my account preferences.

However, this doesn't seem to work very well and I still receive > 50% perm calls rather than contract. Frustratingly I often forget to ask if the role is perm or contract at the start of the call, and only find out after a lengthy conversation with the agent

Has anyone tried going further and putting words like "Contract Only" on the top/front page of their CV?
    If so, any success, or any other tactics?

CS

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Hi,

Like many contractors I have my CV posted on the major job sites and CV databases. Also, in order to avoid hundreds of pointless calls about permy work I always ensure I tick the "contract" related boxes and deselect any "permanent" ones in my account preferences.

However, this doesn't seem to work very well and I still receive > 50% perm calls rather than contract. Frustratingly I often forget to ask if the role is perm or contract at the start of the call, and only find out after a lengthy conversation with the agent

Has anyone tried going further and putting words like "Contract Only" on the top/front page of their CV?

CS
    Not something I have done myself. But I have now resorted to creating a Contractor and a Permie Cover note.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Yes. For 21 years. And I still get permie calls/emails all the time. So don't take it personally.

Think of it from the Agent's point of view - i.e. try and dumb yourself down to the level of a simpleton salesman, who always believes his commission is just one phone call away. You'd call anyone, even completely unsuitable people, if your head was so far up your own backside that you thought candidates would always bite simply because you wanted your commission. Hence you get lots of stupid phone calls.

My inbox was filled this evening, like every other, with "Hey XXX, not spoken to you for a while, but I'm getting in touch as I have a fantastic opportunity..." It's always for £100k less than I earn as a contractor and at least 200 miles away from where I live.

You just have to learn to laugh, that's all. Oh, and put the phone down quickly on timewasters.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        You just have to learn to laugh, that's all. Oh, and put the phone down quickly on timewasters.

Doesn't always bl**dy work though. One chancer I quickly put the phone down, phoned me back up again trying to explain to me that there were only permanent roles on the market.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi,

CS
          I find its a bigger pain in the arse than a marillion fan! I got to thinking I was on some sort of permie only database because of the calls I was getting.

I think the agents are just chancing their arm especially in the current market. Thankfully Im ok for contract work to middle of June 2011. Yippee!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

They don't seem to pay attention, your cv pops into their in box, their programs do a search for key words and you get a phone call irrespective of contract or perm nature of your CV.

They always leave the catch till the end though.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Be polite, say "no thank you, I only want contract work" and get them off the phone IN THEIR TIME. Over the years I've had three bits of work from agents who have remembered me being civil a week or two after they've tried to get me to show interest in permie work. One was a £750 a day six month interim contract for the permie role they tried to get me to apply for but couldn't fill, I'd told the agent to submit my CV as a contractor and see if they'd take me as an interim while they found the right permie.

Is it better to be remembered as being civil or being arrogant?

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                Be polite, say "no thank you, I only want contract work" and get them off the phone IN THEIR TIME. Over the years I've had three bits of work from agents who have remembered me being civil a week or two after they've tried to get me to show interest in permie work. One was a £750 a day six month interim contract for the permie role they tried to get me to apply for but couldn't fill, I'd told the agent to submit my CV as a contractor and see if they'd take me as an interim while they found the right permie.

Is it better to be remembered as being civil or being arrogant?
                Totally agree, you can always discern the time wasters from those who are looking for someone. Common courtesy can work.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Agree with what nomad said..

I think the agent is always going to ring up and chance it. Unsuitable roles, wrong locations, crap rates, permie rather than contract. Seen it all so many times.

I've got a bit of sympathy for the agents here. Are contractors ever going to go over to the dark side (accept crap rates/locations/roles)? Of course they do, it's worth a punt. They've got to cold call hundreds of people to get a lead. For them, it's worth a punt on the off chance...

Yeah, it annoys the hell out of me too though.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I had no less than six emails from the same agent for a junior PHP permie role last week. I'm not a junior, have never done PHP, and don't want a permie job.

I don't think it makes a great deal of difference what you say on your c.v.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X