• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been offered a 12 month contract but had no interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the contract, but when has 12 months been guranteed to mean 12 months?

I just had a 6 month extension mid November, and ClientCo have terminated after 6 weeks!!! s

Hope it all works out for you.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Is it a genuine contract or a 12 month fixed term appointment?

ie Are you on the payroll or billing through a ltd / brolly?

Only asking as the lack of proper job spec sounds like they just want to fill a permie support role without committing to permie terms and conditions.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Be careful it is not one of those contracts that says agent may terminate the contract anytime prior to the start date. This is an old trick where agents get you committed when they have not even seen an offer from client. It also stops you looking for anything else, all the while they will be pushing the client for a contract and if they don't get it they will terminate the contract before start date. This happened to some poor contractor I knew about 10 years ago, only he committed to a 6 month appartment and lost all that money.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          There is probably something in your contract which will allow the client to get rid of you with no notice in the first week/month if you don't live up to what your CV promises.
          WHS++ speaking from experience.

Agent gets you a job just before christmas and is ho-ho-ho all the way to the bank.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the feedback I have decided to turn down the 12 month contract mainly due to it being about an hours commute and the fact that seems like a complete gamble I will stick with my current contact which is not perfect but is local (and lets me do my private work in the evenings) and gives me the space to look for another role probably a perm role.

Comment

Lol!!! I was once offered a 12 month SAP Programme Mgt. role on the basis of a 10 minute interview discussing various wreck dives I have done.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

hmmm didn't quite go to plan the contract I was on well kind of ended now I kind of wished I had taken the 12 month contract im currently looking for a job now doh im too indecisive all good experience though.

The only other issue is that ive annoyed of the agency who ive worked for before so maybe they wont like me asking for a work reference maybe i should phone them hmmm

Comment

Working...
                X